Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine rebuild.

un named

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL
I was thinking of rebuilding my rb30e before turboing it in about 10 months. has anyone had theirs rebuilt before if so how much did you pay and what work was done.

would it be cheaper if i got all the bits and pieces myself then handed my car to a workshop?
so far i was thinking all new bearings and rings, gasket kit, honed, crank linished, acid dipped and decked. thinking about just reusing internals if everything seems in good cond if not i guess ill replace them. and for the head i wanted a port and polished maybe stronger springs and then just everything cleaned haven't really thought about the head to much part from new cam any recommendations?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Leave her unopened or if anything get head work and a good gasket and punch in some boost. Tough motors man. Mines got 320xxx on her and I'm running 10psi. Girl loves it :)

un named

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL
so what head work woud i be looking at? i have got this loud ticking noise comming from the head think its a sticky lifter but have tryed to flush it out and didnt improve. where would i get new lifters?

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
i got a set of lifters for my old wagon. cost me $82 for a set from repco, replaced them myself. Before i put them in, i soaked them in oil for 2-3 days