Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine wants to bottom out when i start to accelerate VT Commodore

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
Hey lads

pretty much the title says it... when im driving my vt it goes to bottom out when i start to accelerate.

As i start to accelerate the car rumbles and grumbles like it wants to stall and then it picks up and VROOOOOM off you go it seems to be at a certain point when you put your foot down on the pedal that it does this "bottoming out"

this problem is at its peak in the morning when shes cold, when she warms up its not as bad but its still there.

I currently have some wiring i have to replace and a few error codes to fix up

the codes are

29 EGR position sensor fault
44 RH oxygen sensor (lean signal)
45 Rh oxygen sensor (rich signal)
47 Crank angle reference signal (no signal)
57 Injector power supply monitor (voltage variations, terminal B12)
64 LH oxygen sensor (lean signal)
76 Air/fuel ratio (variation between left and right banks)
92 Low speed fan fault.

and this is the wiring under the fuse box i have to fix up
604107_10201013249638524_1434636299_n_zps315d4c4b.jpg

now i know what your thinking, im a moron fix these issues and the problem might go away but i just wanted some advice from some lads on here that have had the same problem and what there resolution was as i want a bit of a back up plan if my repairs dont fix it.

i would video it but seriously you wouldnt hear poop in the video and i guess a picture just isnt applicable lol

any light on the matter guys would be great.

Thanks guys yous are champions

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm surprised it actually runs with all those codes......

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
she runs mate, it idles quite good and drives quite well also.. it just has that dang nasty flat spot when i accelerate.

i got this VT From a mate for $700 so i cant really complain... even if i spend a grand on it im sweet i mean i paid 2k for my other VT and ive had nothing but non stop problems with it and have easily spent 1k on it and spent a ridiculous amount of hours under it ranging from replacing the trans, diff, rotors and pads, inlet manifold gaskets, drive belt, major service, engine mounts, hand brake shoes, tailshaft, injectors etc the list just goes on and its still throwing problems my way... so im happy to try fix this one up as its been so reliable so far. (my other vt would of broken down 3 times over by now hahah)

as for the rats chewing wiring i believe so well thats what it looks like. i bought it from a friend like i said before so im unsure how the wires got so damaged but my guess is rats. my mate didnt even know about the frayed wires.. im handy with a soldering iron and wires any who so i should be able to fix that up no worries as well as the codes i just dont wanna be scratching my head and wondering if them repairs will fix my bottoming out issue or not..

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
With the state of those wires, you are going to get voltage/current drop all over the place.
These cars rely heavily on getting the correct voltage/current to all the components.
Any drop will effect the performance of the car. Fix the wiring first and then see what problems you still have.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
One other thing....I'd be more concerned about starting a fire.
In my opinion, I wouldn't even attempt to start the car with the wiring in that state.
If any of those wires arc together or short out, replacing those wires will be the least of your worries.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
For $700, and it runs, you're not doing too bad..........

First up, get the wiring fixed. That'll probably clear a few codes.

Maybe a cuppla new oxy sensors as well......

Most of all, good luck! :cool:

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
If the rats have chewed them wires they might have chewed through the oxy sensor wires as well and that's why ya got them codes and I'm guessing the oxy sensors are the reason behind your flat spot it might be dumping a guts full of fuel in and that's why it struggles then takes off.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
with the state of that wiring i wouldn't even bother trying to solder it all, id just grab another loom from someone wrecking a vt.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replies boys...

With the state of those wires, you are going to get voltage/current drop all over the place.
These cars rely heavily on getting the correct voltage/current to all the components.
Any drop will effect the performance of the car. Fix the wiring first and then see what problems you still have

thanks for the advice mate i will get onto the wiring asap! ill have to look around the wreckers for some spare looms..

One other thing....I'd be more concerned about starting a fire.
In my opinion, I wouldn't even attempt to start the car with the wiring in that state.
If any of those wires arc together or short out, replacing those wires will be the least of your worries.

your not wrong there certainly is a fire hazard there.. but my mate had this car for about a year and a half before i got it and he had no problems starting it and driving it to mildura from adelaide 2 times a week (he works in the mines) and alot of other driving. Im not saying the fire couldnt happen but i reckon it would of happend by now if it was going to but in saying that the wires can not stay in that condition and i will be very careful, thanks for your concern and your advice :)

For $700, and it runs, you're not doing too bad..........

First up, get the wiring fixed. That'll probably clear a few codes.

Maybe a cuppla new oxy sensors as well......

Most of all, good luck!

yeah mate for $700 i cant complain, i havent even paid him for it yet he just wanted it out his driveway as he got a new ford territory (i know what a traitor) eh eh

im gonna have a look around the wreckers this weekend and see what i can dig up i gotta get onto this problem quick smart its not safe keeping it like that.

like i said before mate besides that bottoming out issue she runs sweet as! besides needing a bit of a service and what not i can get her running good i reckon.

with the state of that wiring i wouldn't even bother trying to solder it all, id just grab another loom from someone wrecking a vt.

yeh true mate, im gonna hit up the wreckers and get a good quality loom..

What do you lads reckon id pay for a wiring loom from the wreckers?? am i up for a decent bill or is it only gonna be a couple of bucks you reckon?

thanks for the advice again, cheers