Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine will not start Next Moring

Gnbalbion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hello can anyone help me on this one, I have a VZ 2005 Commodore, 70,000 Klms. If I start the car reverse it out of the garage, wash it and then restart engine move back to garage, the next morning the engine will not start, when starter motor is engaged it tuns the motor over very quickly as it their is little or no compression. Last time two days ago I had to wind it over for a very long period, it eventually started, garage was filled with smoke and unburnt gases. If I had of driven it around the block this scenerio would not have occurred. Any clues would be appreciated. Thanks Garry

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Common problem with some cars. If the engine has only been run for a short time (e.g moving the car in/out of a garage) the engine gets "flooded" with excess fuel (Hence the smoke and gasses when it finally kicks over.) Therefore it chokes when you start it up next.

If you come across this again, put your foot on the accelerator while the engine turns over, the extra bit of throttle helps it to burn/get rid of the excess fuel.

To prevent this, drive the car around the block as you've described, or just let it idle for a few minutes before switching it off.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
If you come across this again, put your foot on the accelerator while the engine turns over, the extra bit of throttle helps it to burn/get rid of the excess fuel.

wont do anything on the alloytec... no throttle cable

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw

Yeah but I recall reading in these forums that it activates a purge function ... so it achieves the same thing in the end.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
On most modern fuel injected cars if you give it full throttle on cranking the ECU reads this as you wanting to clear a flooded engine and cuts fuel completely.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Hmm, didn't think of that. All I know is that I did it on mine when I encountered this issue, and it worked.