Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EPA on exhaust noise

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
dual 2 1/2 inch all the way from the end of the extractors.
ill take all this info to the exxhaust guy and see what he rekons and how much itl be roughly. sounds goood tho cheers guys
a mate said put steel wool in the exhaust to dampen it, but personally i think it wont do much, is it true tho?

i havent got the stock exhaust, but i do still have the rear muffler. the exhaust shop said even with that on it will still be over the limit. he

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
There is heaps around you can get a Stock none for like 50 bucks mate just put it in want to buy thing some one will have one mate

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
Steel wool does work but unless you live only a short distance from the exhaust shop, it'll all be burnt up before you get there. Not a good look to have it blowing out the rear muffler when they're doing the test either.

Just have a big offset rear muffler put on and put some restrictor plates in front of the cats (between extractor/cat flanges). These are just a thin piece of solid steel with a decen number of small (not tiny) holes drilled through it. Car won't have much go about it but they work well to dampen the sound.

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
Had 3" S/S X/force and Mrs got pinged and that was with varex in restricted mode. Had rear muffler made with pea shooter out the back and passed test. They also took a drawing of exhaust system to cover their bum should you decide to change it after the test. So unless you get it done properly you will get pinged again. Mrs got done near Glen Huntley pub corner apparantly a common place they set up because of trucks. cheers

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
had the test today
passed max is 90db and i had 89db @ 4200revs
had on extractors, high flow cats then stock exhaust alll the way with a 1 / 1/2 inch tip
because of the extractors it puts it up a littke at high revs.
now back to where i started

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
wow really? wat extractors r u running? thats interesting coz i got the same set up but with 2 1/2" exhaust into a twin 2 1/4 tip, sure urs is 1 1/2"? thats kinda small is that y ur is quieter?

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
X force stainless 4 into 1 extractors only had 1 pipe going out the rear muffler, only that was 1 1/2 inch, tiny. i dunno if it did actually make a difference. but most if not all v8's have 2 pipes going out the rear i think so yeah maybe 1 pipe could drop a few db's

the usual system is xforce extractors high flow cats 2 center mufflers to a rear muffler, all dual 2 1/2 pipe with 2 3" dumps

Last edited:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
ahh woops i didnt see u had an SS would b totally differnt 2 mine then haha