Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ESP OFF Light VE SV6

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ok, so took it back to the fuel injection guy Friday. Strangely, the ESP light disappeared on the way round there (less than 1km drive.) He plugged in the Tech2, it had logged a P0121 (Throttle Position Sensor) error, and a C0561 (Traction Control Disabled) error, obviously caused by the TPS error. He ran a diagnostic, said everything was ok, cleared all the codes. It has been fine for a few days again, then this morning on the way to work, triggered ESP OFF, Safety Mode, reduced power etc. again. Pulled off the freeway and switched everything off for a couple minutes, then restarted it, still had the ESP OFF light, pulled out and gave it WOT, and the ESP light cleared, and everything seems OK again. Obviously it still has the engine light, having logged the codes. So I'm thinking possibly it's a throttle body problem, possibly sticking a little? (last few mornings have been a bit warmer, but this morning is cold again) Gonna try cleaning the throttle body and see how that goes, and then maybe the next move will be to replace it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Bump so hopefully someone that's here in the evenings has any ideas. Did same thing driving home today. ESP OFF, safety mode. Stopped at the lights, switched the engine off and restarted, no safety mode. Accelerated hard away from lights and ESP switched back on.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Throttle body is shagged! Common problem in ve's - easy fix, 4 bolts and the hose clamp and jobs done! Might pay to change the gasket while your at it! Check on eBay for prices before heading to the dealer! Should have some change from $300

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ok, so I have just pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it thoroughly and put it back on, restarted my car and all the lights have now disappeared, including the Check Engine light :) I didn't disconnect the battery to reset it, so i'm gonna assume cleaning the throttle body has at least improved it. I did notice there was a fair bit of oil in the throttle body and even the plastic intake pipe, but I know when the guy did the VIM rework, he also replaced the PCV hose which was broken, so I'm gonna guess maybe that's what sprayed the oil around in the manifold/throttle body/intake and maybe he didn't clean it all properly? In any case, will see how this goes, and if needs be will replace the throttle body, can pick one up on fleabay for $200.

rumper

Reaction score
Website
www.brewersupplies.com.au
Members Ride
VF Maloo
I used to have the same problem with my 2006 VE V6.
If you take the black air intake box off of your throttle body next time it happens, check inside it and see how much oil is in there.
It gets sucked up from the engine thru the pcv tube into the air intake and builds up over time. after a while it starts to play havoc with the sensors
in the intake manifold setting off the codes. I just cleaned out the square air box of oil and cleaned the throttle body, reset the codes with my scan tool and good as gold till it built up again. Best bet is to get an oil catch can.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yeah when the initial mechanic had the air intake apart when I first started having problems he said there was a lot of oil in the intake box but he cleaned it at the time. When the fuel injection guy had the manifold off doing the VIM rework he found the PCV hose was broken, which I guess was what caused oil to build up in the box again so fast. I'm guessing he didn't bother checking/cleaning the box when he put it all back together, but now that I have, and cleaned it all, no more problems :) Next step will be a catch can though, to stop it building up again.

omegagirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Did you ever get this fixed? My 2009 Omega is doing the same thing and need advice

Ok, so took it back to the fuel injection guy Friday. Strangely, the ESP light disappeared on the way round there (less than 1km drive.) He plugged in the Tech2, it had logged a P0121 (Throttle Position Sensor) error, and a C0561 (Traction Control Disabled) error, obviously caused by the TPS error. He ran a diagnostic, said everything was ok, cleared all the codes. It has been fine for a few days again, then this morning on the way to work, triggered ESP OFF, Safety Mode, reduced power etc. again. Pulled off the freeway and switched everything off for a couple minutes, then restarted it, still had the ESP OFF light, pulled out and gave it WOT, and the ESP light cleared, and everything seems OK again. Obviously it still has the engine light, having logged the codes. So I'm thinking possibly it's a throttle body problem, possibly sticking a little? (last few mornings have been a bit warmer, but this morning is cold again) Gonna try cleaning the throttle body and see how that goes, and then maybe the next move will be to replace it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have had the same problem occurring intermittently for weeks now. Had the throttle body changed and sent the car back to the auto electrician.
Did you finally fix your car and how? Any suggestions?
thanks.