Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ex Police Cars

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i also have an x cop car 1996 vsI v6 and the thing is great, only thing that has gone wrong so far is the water pump and the aircon compressor bearing, other than that i cant complain has heaps more grunt than a mates standard vsII.

i can also see where they had the flashing lights mounted on the inside, tell tale marks where plastic welding has been done very minor tho.

to date the car has only done 141000 k's i got it when it had done 126000 that was 12 months ago.

D

dumpd6

People tell story’s so you never know what to believe it’s the same with any v8 or car that goes hard its just the gamble you gotta take I hardly think there is going to be many v8’s out there that haven’t had a hard life

9C1pack

Reaction score
I have an ex-cop car, it is a VT2 V6, we bought it from a dealer, did not buy it at auction, we went to a several car auctions (Vic) and they where taking bids from imaginary bidders, it all seemed too dodgy to me :( .
We purchased the car with 40K on the clock (in Vic they usually sell them at 40 - 60 K), it now has 90K. The only trouble we have had, is that we had to get "kits" put in the rear suspension to correct a tyre wear (poor holden design) problem. And had some good quality synthetic oil put in to the LSD to make it work properly, as holden only put cheap mineral oil in.
The cars come loaded with options, such as cruise, ABS, 2 airbags, LSD, FE2, 225 x15 Bridgestone performance tyres, plus some options from Berlina, Calais etc: like map reading lights, lumbar adjustment on the passenger seat, two horns. The car is a blue colour, so it may have been a Detective or a speed camera car. It had some screw holes in the back of the fold down rear seat centre arm rest (repaired by dealer), where a camera or computer was once affixed, also some screw holes in the floor under the passenger seat (probably where undercover radio was fitted).
In regards to whether to buy an ex-cop vehicle:
I know a guy who bought a 5L VR cop car from the auctions years ago, and has recently purchased a VX SS to replace it, if he thought they where crap he would not have gone back for seconds.
Another friend bought a V6 white car after a drive of ours, and is also pleased with it.
My sister has a AU (Phew) Falcon (country cop car) they purchased it at QLD Auctions, it has the holes/marks (mentioned in previous posts) where the barrier was, apart from a minor problem fixed by Ford under warranty, it has also been a good car.
A guy I work with has a ex-cop (Vic) Jackeroo, he purchased it loaded with extra's including, ARB bull bar, warn winch, cargo barier with approx 90K on the clock from a dealer for under $30K, he is also happy with his purchase, his touring mates have landcruisers (admittedly a more desirable vehicle) that cost $10 - 20K more.
The only complaint we have is that the FE2 sport suspension rides a bit rough on poorly maintained rural roads, but give it some good road, and its like a big fat go-kart, you need to drive these things through corners with positive throttle, if you coast around corners it feels a bit of a barge, but with a bit of throttle, its a different car!
As mentioned by other posts, the cars are often run continuously by back to back shifts, this has to be a good thing (also mentioned previously) as short runs are not good for cars. If you read the cars manual, they advise extra servicing in such cases as the oil gets contaminated by unburnt fuels & sludge.
When we bought the car we thought we would either keep it for a couple of years and then trade it, while it was still worth something!, or keep it, till it dies. It has been such a good car, that we will probably run the car out, to about 160 - 190K and then pass it on to our son who will have a license by then (he really likes the car).
Since I purchased the car, I have had it serviced (not by holden, but by Repco-Auto care) every 5K, it is now out of GM warranty so I get the 10K service by done by Repco, and do the 5K intermediate service myself, Repco use Castrol FMX, an oil that is supplied to the trade, so I rang Castrol and they advised that the retail pack, of Magnatec is made from the same base oil and is a suitable alternative/replacement.
We are so happy with the car, our next car will be a cop or ex govt car also. ;)

W

Walks

t3zza said:
You can't be more wrong mate. I have friends in the force, and they look after the cars really well.

Well your friends must take pride in them then. I have been a cop for 10yrs and let me tell you that most cars get flogged. As I said, if the car is used by a few people who have pride,then it probably gets looked after better.

Yes it is government funded and so a lot of **** gets fixed BUT I know a lot of fellow workers, who would, rather than having to complete PLEASE EXPLAIN paperwork, just park it up and leave it. Maybe it gets fixed, maybe it goes un-noticed.

Just speaking from experience. ;)

Walks.

C

Commodore

I went in a VY Series I SS 9C1 tonight. It was traded in to the Holden dealer at 71,000k. They're going to sell it at $37k. But for some reason, which I didn't comment about, it smelt like one of those stinkbugs inside :confused: .

T

t3zza

Commodore said:
I went in a VY Series I SS 9C1 tonight. It was traded in to the Holden dealer at 71,000k. They're going to sell it at $37k. But for some reason, which I didn't comment about, it smelt like one of those stinkbugs inside :confused: .

Yeah well you would be right on the money there. You think about it, drunks etc and yeah. Nar nothing that car lovers can't fix though or a couple of hard days work cleaning all the fabric etc.

In relations to what walks says I agree there is some degree of the cars having a hard life. But if you look at this way, a 18 year old flog the **** out of his car, services it himself, takes shortcuts, buy cheap or 2nd hand parts etc. Cop cars do get serviced and heaps of money spent on it etc, no shortcuts, its public safety etc so yeah. But anyway everyone has mixed opinions in the matter....

Terry

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
when i was 18, i never flogged the **** outta my car :p im now 19 and i still havent! u start flogging cars, your gonna get yourself into ****, whether it be having an accident, your car breaking down or you getting caught by the boys in blue :)
i never take shortcuts with my car EVER! (having said that, i know a lot that do) and i service my car religiously every 5000k (new oil, new oil filter, new spark plugs)
fuel filter n leads get replaced every 10,000k and the k&n filter gets its bath
tyre pressures are checked every week, coolant/brake/trans/diff fluid are changed every 20,000k :p
as most of my mates say, they think i take too gooda care of my car
havent even dropped a circle in any of my cars either

T

t3zza

Yeah I should say, some teenagers do hehehehe. Like hear stories where they drag all the time, water hoses blow and they still go. hehehehe but there is no doubt that even adults neglect their cars. Today I was at the garage and there was a really nice looking VT Calias. Looked in the engine bay, there was oil everywhere and the ratiator got flushed and the water was BROWN. hehehehe I am the same though I have always owned cars around $20 grand mark since day 1, and looked after them well and used the best stuff for it. Its all good, I guess when you buy a car just look if it has had a service history, and DO a major service straight away.... ;)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Be extra careful with ex police VLT's. Cops would wind the wastegate shut and thrash the tits off them. Ouch.

Mike

J

JuLz_W

think what you'd do with a car that:

1. wasn't urs
2. you could do almost whatever you wanted in.
3. wouldn't have an effect on ur insurance if you stuffed it.

Saying that, many of the cars are well looked after. I've got a mate who's a copper and he says many of the guys around the station do treat the cars well.

good luck.