Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exaust fumes thu dash vent

demenace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Hi, have a problem with a VS Berlina, when car is stopped at lights, i get an exaust smell though the A/C vent when climate control is on, ive checked the bonnet seal in front of the windscreen, and cant see any obv exaust leaks, well I can't smell or hear them anyway. Also, if the climate control is off...theres a small breeze coming thru the vents when driving, maybe a flap is not sealing properly, if its not sealing...how do i get to where it needs to be sealed?:) thanks heaps

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
demenace said:
Hi, have a problem with a VS Berlina, when car is stopped at lights, i get an exaust smell though the A/C vent when climate control is on, ive checked the bonnet seal in front of the windscreen, and cant see any obv exaust leaks, well I can't smell or hear them anyway. Also, if the climate control is off...theres a small breeze coming thru the vents when driving, maybe a flap is not sealing properly, if its not sealing...how do i get to where it needs to be sealed?:) thanks heaps

Maybe check vaccum lines etc, that may have split with old age. Also check around the exhaust manifold for any signs of leaking exhaust gases. What the climate control system is doing is normal when it's off, it always allows a small amount of air into the cabin, although you can hit recirculate when the climate is OFF, and this will completely seal the cabin, but it will get very stuffy!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Up here in Townsville we always use the aircon on "recirculate" winter and summer. Otherwise you smell the other cars and you don't get maximum cooling. Never gets stuffy.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Up here in Townsville we always use the aircon on "recirculate" winter and summer. Otherwise you smell the other cars and you don't get maximum cooling. Never gets stuffy.

Yeah I understand that, but thats with the fan on. The first post refers to when the climate control is off, if you select recirc then, NO air is moved around in the car, let alone coming into it.

demenace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
thanks all for your replies, yes, if the climate control is off, i still have a draft of outside air coming thru. Maybe a flap isnt sealing properly, can someone tell me where I can find this flap...or a vacuum line that activates it, and if its a lunchtime break fix:) thanks:))

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
demenace said:
thanks all for your replies, yes, if the climate control is off, i still have a draft of outside air coming thru. Maybe a flap isnt sealing properly, can someone tell me where I can find this flap...or a vacuum line that activates it, and if its a lunchtime break fix:) thanks:))

When you turn the climate control off, press the recirc button after that, and it should come up on the display, with nothing else showing. Then go for a drive and see if you are still getting any air in. As I said earlier, the system is designed to still let a small amount of air in when it is off, but switching to recirc when the system is off will stop this.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Harvs82 said:
Yeah I understand that, but thats with the fan on. The first post refers to when the climate control is off, if you select recirc then, NO air is moved around in the car, let alone coming into it.
Actually Harvs82, the original post says when the climate control is "on".

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Actually Harvs82, the original post says when the climate control is "on".

I should perhaps clarify here, I realise that the exhaust smell is coming into the car when the climate control is on, but it is also mentioned that when the system is OFF, a small amount of air still comes into the cabin. What I am trying to say is that this is normal, and that if you want to completely seal the cabin with the climate OFF, you need to select recirc after you turn off the system. That will stop anything from coming into the cabin...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Agreed Harvs82. My only problem with air leaks is to do with passengers not fully winding up their windows - they just wind till the glass touches the seal not realising it has to actually enter the seal to seal. (sealy isn't it)

demenace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
ahhh thanks harvs, Il give that a go...appreciations to all