Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive cranking???

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY
Its a breeze, once its out just unclip the wire attached to it and replace....

Not sure on how it works exactly, may be a digital feed to the bcm or something (so it doesnt start with the correct key)

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
LOL at Tread name "excessive cranking" I've got the same prob, thought it was a 16yr thing but im 26 now. If anything im worse

muzzz89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina V6
LOL at Tread name "excessive cranking" I've got the same prob, thought it was a 16yr thing but im 26 now. If anything im worse

Very lol!! I thought about that after I started the thread! Was only a matter of time till somebody else did! 

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I think people have run off with a solution to a different problem.

The key reader will stop the engine turning over, this isn't the problem, the engine turns over, it just doesn't fire.

I would check the fuel regulator.

muzzz89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina V6
Another thing I've noticed, sometimes when It kicks over it runs real rough for a few seconds? Sounds as if it's only running on 6-7 cylinders and nearly stalling?

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY

The key reader will stop the engine turning over, this isn't the problem, the engine turns over, it just doesn't fire.

I had my key reader disconnected and it turned over but it just didn't fire.... Plugged it back in and started first go

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN

Another thing I've noticed, sometimes when It kicks over it runs real rough for a few seconds? Sounds as if it's only running on 6-7 cylinders and nearly stalling?

that sounds like a fuel presure problem. im not sure if the standard fuel system has an check valve, but on my worked V8 does the samething, only cuase fuel presure in the lines drop over night and gets air in there. it turns over after a few cranks in the moirining and runs rough whiles theres air in the fuel.

i'd check the fuel reg.

muzzz89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina V6
And the answer is.......fuel pump! And how do I know? Bcoz it **** it's self today while driving down the highway! All good tho, cars at the dealership will be fixed under warranty :) meanwhile they've lent me a falcon to drive while they fix mine.

pzessd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV Redline
I had the exact same problem in my VYII when i first picked it up. Wouldn't turn over on first crank, release and then fired up straight away. Eventually the pump died like yours.

Didn't help that the filter was pretty blocked as well.