Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive oil consumption

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hello everyone.

Just wondering if this can be considered serious.

My oil has dropped below the add line on the dipstick after 7,000 kms. Is that normal for an ecotec engine?

Otherwise, can the engine have signs of wear and tear on the piston rings etc?

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Oh also, (if it accounts for anything), i travel on freeways alot, could that contribute to oil loss thats this significant?

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
an engine shouldnt use any oil between services

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Yes, I am using 10w -30 and used it in my vn calais and it used very little but unfortunantly, this engine seems to drink the oil. I'm considering on taking it back to the dealership but was curious if this is considered normal? There are no signs of leaks anywhere as i check them today. The smark plugs were normal as well. Any other ideas?

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
I'll speak with the dealership and see what they can do. Hopefully they can rectify the issue and i don't have to pay much...or anything at all. I hate car problem....especially after spending nearly 16k on this car. URGH!!!!

Apart from leaks, is there any other way it could be burning the oil quickly? Is 10w - 30 to thin of an oil? In the booklet, it mentions that as the ideal oil and hence why i purchased it

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
10w-30 is too thin in my opinion, In my cars manual it says 20w-50 normal use and 15w-50 for snow use (I think) my engine is an ecotec as well. But 20w-50 is what I use and I have no problems barely any oil loss.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Check your Rocker cover gaskets , coomon VY problem , oil seeps past & runs down the rear of the engine , jack up car & check if your Gearbox pan is oily & drippy, chances are its from the rocker gaskets seeping oil. Buy a new pair of rocker covers with gaskets for about $120.....