Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive oil consumption

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. You do not say how many kms the car has traveled but that level of oil consumption is excessive obviously.

You should be changing the oil every 5-6000 kms in any event and letting the oil drop below the add level is just neglect .

2. If there are no external oil leaks of significance then it will likely be worn piston rings. If you had someone carry out an engine cylinder compression check before buying the car you would know the likely condition of the piston rings before handing over your cash.

3. The problem is the oil change intervals in the book are for ideal/optimum running which very few owners ever do. So allowing the standard type mineral oils to run 10000 kms or so in the engine before changing will result in much more wear on piston rings, bearings and other moving parts. Furthermore many owners are too lazy or ignorant, or both, to check their engine oil levels between services and some will just skip a service to save money. They will allow the oil to run down to the add level or lower in an engine which is consuming some oil - and all engines will consume a bit. They do not bother to check radiator coolant levels either. This is the risk you run buying a used car.

4. Apart from checking for external leaks I would get a compression test done on each cylinder. If you have a significant external leak you will most likely have oil dripping on the garage floor.

5. Finally check that you do not have oil escaping into your cooling system via a failed head gasket. Look at the coolant condition in the radiator when it is cold.

Relying on a used car warranty is no substitute for getting a thorough pre -purchase inspection carried out before buying a used car because countless wear and tear items are not covered by these used car warranties.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
an engine shouldnt use any oil between services

Oh? I don't think so, any engine will use some oil between services, the higher the k's, the more oil it will use. To the op, how many k's are on it? And even for a high k engine, I would be worried about using THAT much oil. Unless of course your oil changes are only being done every 15,000 k's AND your k's are over about 200-250,000.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Sorry guys. I have 149,000 kms atm and I purchased the vehicle with 142,000 kms. The oil the dealership placed put in the engine was castrol magnetec 10w - 30.

Today I removed the existing oil and oil filter with a new oil and filter. The oil is Castrol Modern Engine 10w - 30. It running good atm and is at the full mark. I also replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter too. I'd consider doing a compression test but just wondering, do i remove all the spark plugs before placing the compression tester in the spark plug hole? Also, how much could i expect to pay for a compression tester for my vy?

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
oh btw, i didn't find any leaks evident around the rocker cover or next to the transmission sump and there is no oil to be found in the radiator cap.