Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Help - Whats the part called?

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Hey guys, im just wondering if someone is able to tell me what the piece of pipe is called on the exhaust thats in between the two mufflers? Mine has rusted all the way along the join and Im in desperate need of replacing it and i would like to get quotes but i need to know what the piece is called.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Doesw it have a seperate ID? Part of that section is attached to each muffler. Check what side of the clamp is rusted through and just replace the muffler on that side. Or replace the whole lot from the cat back. Pretty cheap and easy to do anyway.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't really have a specific name. Any decent exhaust shop should be able to replace it for you. Or as mentioned, get a complete replacement system. NAAF has a special going ATM for a complete replacement 2.5" cat back system.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That is not really a separate part. Part of it is connected to the front muffler and part of it to the rear. You could get the rusted section replaced on it's own, but you have to remember that the rest of the cat back is the same age so it won't be too long before a muffler goes and you have to replace it all again.

The special I have at the moment doesn't fit the VS V6 unfortunately. If you wanted a cat back, I can do one for $280 delivered as you are in Perth. Or if you wanted to come down to Bunbury, I could fit for you.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Damn mate, that is a decent price. You do look after the JC boys don't ya :)

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Thanks guys, i might just look at having the whole think replaced. Thanks Notanabbafan i'm just looking into it at the moment but I am short of funds, so just looking at quotes to get an idea of what i'm in for and start saving. I will definitely keep that in mind for sure :)

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
ok, so ive just been doing research in exhausts and im very confused, could anyone recommend what i should buy to replace my current exhaust system, just stock???

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Do you have car stands or ramp or something, very easy job to swap cat back exhaust over yourself.
The system from NAAF is good quality at good price. Or you get get redback or something off ebay for slightly cheaper.
just make sure you get the right one if you have IRS or not. Get a 2.5inch, i recommend getting one with a rear resi so it's not too loud, but thats a personal opinion only, nothing wrong with ones without.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The one I quoted is for live axle seeing as yours is an executive. It comes with front muffler and rear resonator as well as the gasket and clamp.

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
thanks guys. my dad has ramps, we do all the work on my car at his place. Thanks for you help :)