Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust question...quick reply needed

Reaction score
hey guys. i really want a sports exhaust for my car. i dont really know much about whats good and whats not. i went somewhere and was quoted 450 for a full sports exhaust with chrome 2.5inch tip. i think he said something about a resonator which i have no clue what that does. am i being ripped off? what should i be looking for in a new exhaust? i want it to be as loud and deep as possible without spending money on extractors. what price should i be looking at also. I have an 89 vn calais. Thanks guys. any quick response will be appreciated.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
firstly what exactly do you mean by "full exhaust"...are you talking about from the headers back, or cat back? (or your not sure?)
you really shouldnt pay much more that $300 for a cat back.
a resonator is basically a sound deadening device so your not too loud.it also gives a more refined note so you dont sound crackly and have exhaust splutters.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
What is the difference between catback and a full new system?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I would take a full new system including extractors I would have thought. You should have to replace your cat unless it's stuffed, unless you want to go for a hi-flow cat.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
A redback catback should set you back no more than $350 for a V6 and prolly $400 for a v8. You will need a resonator otherwise it will be loud but tinny at the same time. Buy a name brand exhaust like lukey or redback otherwise it may fall apart after a few years and wont flow as good as a name brand. 2&1/2 inch is the standard size nowadays.