Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory LPG - more engine noise?

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
Can I ask all the dual-fuel factory LPG VE owners out there, is it my imagination or does the engine make more noise under acceleration/load when running on LPG?

It sounds harsh to me, not what I'd expect a 2010 Berlina to sound like.

Last edited:

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
No-one has factory LPG and is able to comment?

VE60thLPG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 6oth anniversary LPG
It slighty does, and does this more the longer it runs on LPG I reccomend you run a injector cleaner through the fuel and run 98 octane fuel for a day or so or more regulaly. Also run an oil flush every service and I use the GM oil 10w/30 from Holden after 7500ks change it and you will never have carbon build up in the engine. Also check your filters and if u can go to an Impco BRC service centre and get gas injectors looked at you should be able to switch them on and off one by 1 and see diference in amount of fuel running through them.

But there is always a slight more noise this is because it is running hotter and the oil thins more and no oil (eg Fuel) is lubbricating the upper valves.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
That's a first. Never heard that one before. Our VZ SV6 with aftermarket LPG sounds the same no matter what fuel you choose to run it on. The only difference should be the injector noise as some LPG systems have louder injectors than others.

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
It slighty does, and does this more the longer it runs on LPG I reccomend you run a injector cleaner through the fuel and run 98 octane fuel for a day or so or more regulaly. Also run an oil flush every service and I use the GM oil 10w/30 from Holden after 7500ks change it and you will never have carbon build up in the engine. Also check your filters and if u can go to an Impco BRC service centre and get gas injectors looked at you should be able to switch them on and off one by 1 and see diference in amount of fuel running through them.

But there is always a slight more noise this is because it is running hotter and the oil thins more and no oil (eg Fuel) is lubbricating the upper valves.

Wow, that's a lot of work to have to do.

I'm going down to the local Holden Dealer tomorrow to get one of the head mechanics to come for a ride around the block with me and have a listen.

I was also surprised that as the car had a 15,000 km service in October just gone, the Holden service book says another service isn't required úntil October 2011 or at 30,000km.

That seems lime a large interval between services.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
hmm
its "recomended you run petrol about once a week to help witht he lubrication downfalls of using lpg...
as fo it being louder if you had a keen ear you may hear a slightly louder noise as at full acceleration the lpg injector and valves are pretty nooisy ive noticed (in lpg cars in general)
like i said it seems some people have better hearing than others!~
if your concerned about the noise and its underwarranty get it checked out!~

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Holden's recommends running petrol for 30min per week so that the petrol system stays in good shape (i.e. fuel pumps and injectors). It has nothing to do with lubrication or damage prevention.

As for sounds, that was one of the first things that me and the previous owner of our car tried to differentiate, to no avail.

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Re filling up the fuel tank with 98 RON, doesn't that start to eat into the cost benefits of LPG?

With my car being an Ex GMH executive vehicle, I also see that in the service book under the 3,000km (first) service it says "GMH Exempt" or words to that effect.

So it seeems the car has only had one service since manufacture, at 15000 km.

As I said, I'm heading down to the local Holden dealer tomorrow to quiz them.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
98RON is actually BENEFICIAL for LPG operation, since the LPG system depends on the petrol ECU to control things such as ignition advance angle (via knock sensor feedback). Using 98RON in your Alloytec will make the engine switch to its high-octane fuel ignition map and you will get more power, better economy, and smoother operation. Using 98RON periodically will NOT yield any benefits. It's either all the time or never.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
My factory LPG Berlina is also fairly noisy - I put much of that down to the single exhaust as it sounds worse under heavier acceleration. I'm wondering if after-market LPG fitted VE 175KW motors (ie Omega/Berlina) with dual exhausts sound quieter. I'm toying with the idea of converting to dual outlet anyway...

+1 for better fuel too. I had stale 91RON in the tank a while back and it ran like rubbish when cold (surging at the bit when started and pretty ordinary). Ran it down to 4litres and then ran non-stop on half a tank of premium and all good since. Now I never carry more than half a tank so the petrol is always fresh. Haven't tried running only on 98RON though, might give that a crack.

PS. MY10 Berlina LPG (and Omega) came with single exhaust while petrol only MY10 Berlina (and Omega) came with dual. One of the many 'advantages' of the LPG model. Bit the like the 4 speed auto....