Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fake $50 notes

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
A few years ago when I worked in a supermarket we had a bunch of fakes come through town. We had to rub somewhere (i forget where) on every $50 that came in and see if we could make the ink fade

Apparently australian currency is one of the hardest to counterfeit because it has so many security measures in it

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
A few years ago when I worked in a supermarket we had a bunch of fakes come through town. We had to rub somewhere (i forget where) on every $50 that came in and see if we could make the ink fade

Apparently australian currency is one of the hardest to counterfeit because it has so many security measures in it

haven't heard of that before...but as they are paper, I guess it should work almost any spot...

And yes, they had a news thing on TV and there is actually a "20", "50" etc etc on each of that value note which can only be seen with a very powerful microscope

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Polymer plastic is made by Note Printing Australia. Almost imposible to replicate.

All old notes are returned. shreaded and made into newies.

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Polymer plastic is made by Note Printing Australia. Almost imposible to replicate.

i see...Explains a lot... better than paper like over seas, and the old notes we had...

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais

well there is a fun fact thanks :)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon

And NPA also makes currency for a number of other countries because their product is so good

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
well i have heard about fake notes being used in sawyers valley wa, problem was that the bar owner got suspisous and recorded the cars liecence plate

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
And NPA also makes currency for a number of other countries because their product is so good

9 countries now. maybe 10. They also export the polymer sheet too

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, i work in retail and never once missed a fake note. I dont check with UV or the watermark. Well, i've never had to anyways. As your counting if you count by rubbing your finger over the middle section you'll actually notice that the ink is raised off the note and provides a rougher feel. That's very hard to replicate, especially with a photocopier. If your a bit iffy look at the clear window and it should have the demonation raised on BOTH sides and not just one.

Also, dont trust the UV test, there are a lot of older notes out there that the UV ink has rubbed off and wont show the denomination (there is the denomination on $20 and up notes just above the clear window that reacts to UV) and sometimes the ink on the serial numbers rubs off too.

Another thing is the 7 pointed star, when you look through the note you should see all 7 points, but when looking just at it without a light behind it you should see 4 or 3 points (depending on which side).

If you really want to get picky also hold a magnifying glass over the ink i was talking about and it's not just ink, it's actually micro printing of the denomination in words. Eg. a whole bunch of words saying FIFTY DOLLARS and not just ink. Most devices arn't good enough to catch the microprinting and reprodice it, if they are then hell, they deserve to use that note.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
i think somebody knows a little too much :whistling