Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan blows on windscreen under load is that normal ??

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
Ive got a 99 VT berlina & with the fan set on feet or face if I put my foot down for a hill ect the fan blows on the screen until I back off again.

Is that normal ????

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
I had same problem, pretty common with these cars.

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
I had this exact same problem when I had my Berlina. Sold it before I figured out what was going on so I have no answer for you but it would be good to know what causes it.

xVTx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
as with the other guys, I too have this problem and would be good to know what the cause is.

I have read people say its vaccum related but not sure

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Usually caused by a vacuum leak, check the thin vacuum hose at the rear of the intake manifold for perishing and make sure it is a tight fit. It might not be the problem but it is the easiest thing to check first and often it is the problem.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Nope....it's not normal.

EDIT: I just bled the vacuum from my selector setting by turning the selector around to different settings with the engine off.
With the fan on, no matter were I put the selector, it only came out of the windscreen vent.
So without vacuum, or lack of it in the system, the windscreen vent is the "default" setting.
So yes, vacuum problem. Suggest what accentstencil suggests first. That little hose from the manifold, goes through the fire wall just under the heater hoses.
If that doesn't work, try what I suggested.

Check the little vacuum manifold at the back of the heater controls. (Means pulling the dash facia off)
It's connected to the selector knob.....Feet, windscreen, face etc.

Failing that, the selector it's self may not be separating the selections properly and when you put your foot down, you are producing a higher vacuum for a moment and the air may bleed into the windscreen selection which incidentally, is the first selection from the right on the VT.

Does your air selector have resistance from one setting to another. It should have, as this separates where the air is going. Feet face etc.
If it just turns from one selection to the other easily and without resistance, there may not be any separation between the modes. Hence your problem.

Failing that.....As accent says ^^^.

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The vacuum reservoir for the VT is in the cabin under the dash to the left of the trans. tunnel. On that is a vacuum switch that is known to leak. Worth looking there I think.