Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

filled up with 15w40 oil. VT V6 not scharge or turbo

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Silly mistake but is it a big deal? Will it cause problems??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not going to do anything at all, will run just as normal.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Silly mistake but is it a big deal? Will it cause problems??
Are you serious ? You are over thinking this one shockingly. You can run anything from a 5w40 to a 20w60 in that Engine without issue. Supercharger or Turbo makes on difference. It's only cars with overhead cams where the oil needs to get to the top quicker through smaller galleries and even then the 15w40 would be fine unless you lives in the Snowy Mountains. We are lucky in Australia as we don't have the temp extremes of Europe or the US with the colder winters. 15w40 is known as the mixed fleet grade, often used by fleets, mechanics around construction/mines/farms etc. They often have both S and C ratings for petrol and diesel engines. Mineral or Synthetic will only determine drain interval. And don't waste money changing every 5000km unless you doing that in a year. Todays oil is not like 25 years ago.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Depends which part of that statement you are suggesting might have been a mistake.
If you mean the type of oil, it'll be fine.
If you mean you literally "filled up" the oil reservoir, then that would be a problem, yes.
I bought my current car at auction and it wasn't until I drove it home that I found it ran a bit crap, but for the price I wasn't overly concerned. Turned out the previous owner had blindly free-poured oil in until they pretty much filled it up. We extracted close to a litre of excess oil from the engine using a syringe and rubber tube. Ran fine after that. So if that's the concern, you won't blow your car up immediately, but I'd head down to your local farm supply and pick up the biggest syringe they have and some tube. Maybe walk there.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
More details would help, brand and so on. Most spare parts online stores tell you which is suited if you enter your car details. 10w40 is the right stuff, 15w only 5 degrees difference, -20 vs -25, its more the grade of oil like semi synthetic vs mineral is the issue. I think it just means the oil be little thicker and wont pump around as quickly as 10w.