Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First start after cam change ls1

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
hey, just started the clubby after changing the cam, lifters, pushrods, DR timing chain, valve springs, locks, retainers, seats. started first time and idled fine, but DAMN the valve train is noisy! the oil pressure light was on but went away when it was revved 1/2k rpm then it would come back on at idle. my brother in law is going to bring home a oil pressure tester tomorrow night so ill keep you posted and ill post a vid aswell.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mate I wouldn't start it (or especially rev it) until the oil pressure problem is fixed. You might have accidentally buggered something up around the oil pump area.

If you have the time, pull all the timing gear and oil pump back off and go over everything there with a fine tooth comb.

A few more hours work is better than scrapping your engine I say. Good luck.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you start the balancer onto the crank with a hammer untill you could get the bolt in that tends to do bad things to the pump

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
How long have you run it for? You should'nt let a fresh cam and lifters idle until they're 'broken in'. Did you crank it with no fuel pump relay first until you had oil pressure?
What pushrods have you used? Did you check you have the correct lifter preload?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
did you start the balancer onto the crank with a hammer untill you could get the bolt in that tends to do bad things to the pump
Yea I gently knocked it on with a hammer a few taps either side til I could get the bolt started, how is that bad for the oil pump it doesn't touch it?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
How long have you run it for? You should'nt let a fresh cam and lifters idle until they're 'broken in'. Did you crank it with no fuel pump relay first until you had oil pressure?
What pushrods have you used? Did you check you have the correct lifter preload?
I got my brother in law over who is a mechanic at holdens, we ran it for a few minutes with a few revs. I turned the motor over for about 15 seconds with coil packs unplugged. I was told you don't need to check lifter preload as there hydraulic

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate I wouldn't start it (or especially rev it) until the oil pressure problem is fixed. You might have accidentally buggered something up around the oil pump area.

If you have the time, pull all the timing gear and oil pump back off and go over everything there with a fine tooth comb.

A few more hours work is better than scrapping your engine I say. Good luck.
Made sure everything oil pump was ok, took quite a while getting it right. I filled sump up with new oil past full because of new lifters etc and it has come back down to add now, there are also some small bubbles on dipstick which my brother in law said it must be oil pressure. The ticking is nearly the exact same noise I has before the cam swap which I thought was a noisy lifter. My mech/bro said it would be Soooo much noisier if it had oil problems, and it probably would of seized already right?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
looking forward to it. you do all the work yourself?
Yeah I did all the work myself following a great write up from jmx. It took a few weeks as getting new head gaskets and new intake seals took a bit longer, I also replaced all springs with king superlows and Monroe gt sport, and replaced whole front end with nolathane bushes.