Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 First Start Up

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Will be starting my new engine on the weekend.

Ive had to put the dizzy in and had a good guess at the timing. Now I also have to run the cam in when I start the car so that means 20mins of 2000-3000rpm. Now is it ok to do this without the timing set right? I dont really want to leave it to idle while i set the timing.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you can static time the engine and get it very close.

ensure the distributor rotor button is lined up with #1
enable field service mode,
breaker bar on the front crank bolt, turn engine to 12 degrees BTDC, compression stroke on #1 cylinder.
hook a spark tester or earth a spark plug up to #1 ignition lead
Ignition on, twist distributor back and forward slowly until you see the spark tester/plug spark.
tighten up the distributor bolt and your base timing should be set to 12BTDC. Check it with the timing light once the engine has run for a while

I got mine spot on using this method

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
dont forget to pack your oil pump number one tip for freash starts id be more worried about having oil pressure than running the cam in

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Thanks, Ill have to do that once its in the car then. Right now ive just done it by eye lining it up. When you say field service mode is that the same as diagnostics mode?

Yeah pub ill be doing that to, cant run a cam in with no oil :p ive been told of two methods tho, one involes just turning the crank and the other filling it with oil before start up.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The only way to ensure instant oil pressure on a Holden V8 is to pack the oil pump with grease or vasoline. Also fill the filter with oil before you screw it on and you won't have any dramas.

It's up to you whether you crank it over without the plugs in for a bit or just fire it straight into life. I prefer the fire it straight up method.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Apparently vasoline is better then grease coz it's petrolium based and breaks down straight away, where as the grease doesn't break down as good. I set my timing how Darren does his, altho mine have all been carby so I just put the balancer timing mark on 8-10 degrees with number 1 piston at tdc (compression stroke), then slot the dizzy in so the rotor button is lined up with number 1. Fires straight away providing nothing else is wrong lol.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Apparently vasoline is better then grease coz it's petrolium based and breaks down straight away, where as the grease doesn't break down as good.

Yeh, i use vaso, but if you don't have vaso and only have grease it will work fine.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
I was just going to fill it up with oil via the pressure switch above the filter just before i start it. Was planing to crank tell i got pressure.

Next question. The two vacume hoses coming from the front of the manifold (stock EFI) to the rear. Small one goes to the fuel reg and the big one to the AC controls/vacume ball?

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
So the small one is for the fuel reg? Cool thanks.

Say on the cam instructions specificaly not to use grease. Say to prime thorugh the pressure switch.

Please note: 253 – 308 Holden engines - oil priming. Oil pumps on these engines can be
lazy to pick up oil from the sump on initial fire-up. The practice of filling the oil pump with
grease in an attempt to rectify this is not recommended. Fill oil pump and filter with oil.
The oil system can be primed thru the oil pressure switch hole with an oil can or pressure
primer.