Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First time mods

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Gotta luv Bi-Modals! :)

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
i got the 3" manta full system in mild steel from NAAF, it sounds pretty good. it's loud AF but i still passed RWC in a interstate move. it sounds mint anywhere above 2500 and produces a lot more power. i just keep a copy of the receipt for exhaust + install + OTR & tune + inspection report. that way if a cop does ever bring it up i can show them, so far i haven't needed it.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
i got the 3" manta full system in mild steel from NAAF, it sounds pretty good. it's loud AF but i still passed RWC in a interstate move. it sounds mint anywhere above 2500 and produces a lot more power. i just keep a copy of the receipt for exhaust + install + OTR & tune + inspection report. that way if a cop does ever bring it up i can show them, so far i haven't needed it.
Mate I am positive that if you class your exhaust loud AF it is louder than 82db one metre from the tips. Download a DB meter, that's a portable radio in another room or an indoor human conversation. Likely you were passed because it was not specifically tested when the engine is held near 4000 rpm, then quickly backed off (crackle is louder btw).
Just saying it is not up to any pre-prepared documentation to set you free, it is on-the-spot fine plus defect notice. Fine is one thing, being called in for further inspection is another...

dazzdodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais V 6.0L
Not sure how having a receipt is going to help you at all. I have a receipt for the pipes on my harley but that ain't going to do a thing lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Thanks for ur thoughts people. I will keep ur offer in mind not_an_abba_fan. Now found out the hurricane set up is made of 409 s/s (but is australian made) whereas most other s/s systems are 304 (xforce sre chinese made i think). Going by a lot of web studying 304 s/s is superior and more expensive than 409. So why are hurricane etc systems dearer???

The truth behind stainless.

304 grade is industrial or building grade stainless, it has more nickel content but is also harder and less malleable. It is used in the building industry mostly as it looks pretty. It is not structural.

409 is exhaust grade, it has just enough nickel to prevent corrosion (it will oxidise and have a slight rusty looking appearance but it will not corrode). This grade is used because it can be shaped without losing it's strength and is flexible enough not to crack like 304. It is dearer because there is less of it made. 304 is pumped out for a multitude of applications, whereas 409 is only used for a few things, exhausts being one.

Look at the warranty period for the different grades, most 304 systems will only have 3-5 years, 409 generally has 10 years.

304 may be "superior" in looks, but that's it. It is used because it is cheaper to buy and it polishes up nicely. 409 does not. It is OK to use on the barrel of a muffler, but as far as pipe goes, 409 is actually superior.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Mate I am positive that if you class your exhaust loud AF it is louder than 82db one metre from the tips. Download a DB meter, that's a portable radio in another room or an indoor human conversation. Likely you were passed because it was not specifically tested when the engine is held near 4000 rpm, then quickly backed off (crackle is louder btw).
Just saying it is not up to any pre-prepared documentation to set you free, it is on-the-spot fine plus defect notice. Fine is one thing, being called in for further inspection is another...

Just a note on the proper testing procedure, when an exhaust is tested to ADR 28/01 testing procedures, most exhausts actually pass. Blipping or excessive revving is not the legislated testing procedure so if an exhaust fails due to the throttle being blipped or the engine revved incorrectly, then it can be contested due to an incorrect test being carried out. I used to do the testing when DoT had their own inspection centre here in Bunbury and we used to have a proper test certificate we issued with the dBa reading and the test procedure noted on it. If it was under the levels for the year of vehicle, it passed. When testing a car, revving it will often result in a louder reading than the proper method. There is a proper placement of the meter and how the engine is to be revved. It is near 4000rpm, but every engine is different. 75% of engine speed at maximum power actually, but if that can't be determined we used 3500 rpm. This is for petrol engines only, the method is different for diesel engines.

SS Gazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 MY09 ve ss commodore 6ltr 270kw
The truth behind stainless.

304 grade is industrial or building grade stainless, it has more nickel content but is also harder and less malleable. It is used in the building industry mostly as it looks pretty. It is not structural.

409 is exhaust grade, it has just enough nickel to prevent corrosion (it will oxidise and have a slight rusty looking appearance but it will not corrode). This grade is used because it can be shaped without losing it's strength and is flexible enough not to crack like 304. It is dearer because there is less of it made. 304 is pumped out for a multitude of applications, whereas 409 is only used for a few things, exhausts being one.

Look at the warranty period for the different grades, most 304 systems will only have 3-5 years, 409 generally has 10 years.

304 may be "superior" in looks, but that's it. It is used because it is cheaper to buy and it polishes up nicely. 409 does not. It is OK to use on the barrel of a muffler, but as far as pipe goes, 409 is actually superior.
Thanks for your insight into s/s grading abba. Much appreciated. I've decided to go for a hurricane 3" s/s catback medium sound just for now $1250 installed being done friday. Later mods maybe down the track.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Are you sure it's stainless for that price? The mild steel is dearer than that.

dazzdodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais V 6.0L
Thanks for your insight into s/s grading abba. Much appreciated. I've decided to go for a hurricane 3" s/s catback medium sound just for now $1250 installed being done friday. Later mods maybe down the track.

So is that 304 or 409?
It seems like a very good price, do you mind me asking where you are getting that from?

SS Gazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 MY09 ve ss commodore 6ltr 270kw
Job all done. Yes i got hurricane 3" s/s catback system for $1250 fitted from Jack Beedham's performance exhaust and brakes redcliffe about 20min north of brisbane. They are renowned for cheap prices and quality workmanship. I'm very happy with finally having a nice V8 note over stock.