Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fittin vx boost and master - do u need front bracket on drivers strut

beefcream

Lethal LOKKA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5speed (project) VN exec v6 (daily)
Hi,

ive fitted up a vx booster and master cylinder into my vs commodore, the question im trying to find out is that little metal bracket that bolts onto the drivers strut tower and the front of the master cylinder.. is this required? with the new setup i need to modify a bracket a little to get it to mount up correctly but the bay is getting smoothed etc and if i can remove those two studs in the strut tower would add to the look.

the fords do this in the earlier series to the au cause their braking system is very similar, i assume the booster has enough strength to easily mount the master cylinder under stress conditions?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
My understanding is that the purpose of the bracket is to reduce firewall flex and therefore give you a harder brake pedal. On VT/VX etc. models you can purchase a heavy duty alloy equivalent which makes the brake pedal feel much firmer during braking. I have one of these installed on my VX GTS. Personally I wouldn't modify the VS bracket in any way that reduces its strength.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Once i redid my vy booster on my vr, i did make a new HD strut tower bracket, cause as you found the old one dosnt fit right. I actually made a new one out od some thick walled RHS off cut. Personally i would not suggest runing without it, as the firewall does flex alot when you push hard on the brake pedal (have a mate push it hard while you whatch from side on how much the booster shifts forward). If its a show car only then yo may get away with it for a while cause it will take alot of brake push's to get the firewall to split or crack. But if its a daily i wouldnt be without it for too long.

beefcream

Lethal LOKKA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5speed (project) VN exec v6 (daily)
thanks guys, i thought it was for something similar to this, i would perfer it to be braced and not have firewall flex, ill have to grab a v8 bracket and see how it fits because i think they are different to the v6 ones.

blackgts can you tell me more about this alloy bracket you got?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
You can run without it, the stock bracket does need to be bent to suit the larger size, however as said before, it is alot more stable with the bracket and does help reduce the firewall flex/pedal feel.

Good work on getting a VX Booster/Master setup into the SS, wouldn't be doing the thing justice not to have a better Booster/Master combo on it...things looking tits man!!!! Keep up the good work!

tappet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Exec 3.8
diff centers

that bracket, ( from experience, as was my job...exhaust/brakes/clutches and so forth) will stop the booster from flexing at the firewall, thus giving a firmer more responsive pedal, and only takes one cop who does know to canary you...I am pondering over weather to remove HX master and upgrade to Commie vn onwards thus tossing all the ineffectual lines, I f you really want to toss the bracket, even though fiddly, make up a stiffener for the firewall side of the booster....ok wrong forum here, what out of all the diffs we have a choice of will fit into HX ute diff, dialing in preloads not an issue, just wanna find a diff my 16 yo wont pop too wasy bhind a 308/M20( muncie designation) center as the 6cylnder pop with no effort, a link will do me thanx...( and yes my name really is Jim Richards )

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
deleted, was just repeating what i said in previous post:s

Last edited:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I just used the VS bracket, bend it so that the 90deg bend is on the opposite side to where it is originally. Bob's your uncle!