Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting electric gauges into vl

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hey all,

Im looking to hook up a electrical water temp and oil pressure gauge into the vl and looking for some info on how to wire them up.

To hook up the accessory 12v power, where would be a good spot to tap into?

The gauge has two wires which need to be grounded, one ground for the gauge and a ground for the negative wire to illuminate the gauge.

Can I run both those wires on the same ground Through one ring terminal connector?

Thank you

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You could ground them both together on one ring terminal, but if you connect the illumination wire to existing lighting (heater controls backlight etc) your gauge should come on/off with the rest of your dash lights.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
If I tap off the ciggie lighter 12v for the two electrical gauges, will that be too much for that circuit? As time to time I use the ciggie lighter to charge my phone and v don't b want to overload it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If I tap off the ciggie lighter 12v for the two electrical gauges, will that be too much for that circuit? As time to time I use the ciggie lighter to charge my phone and v don't b want to overload it.
That should be fine. Gauge takes bugger all power, and USB charging is low as well.

Heating a metal ring to light up a fag on the other hand......

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Thanks for that mate.

Is there a way to to hook up the water temp sensor without cutting the top radiator hose and fitting that tee peice which holds the sensor? Like somewhere else I can fit it?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe have a tee piece off your normal sensor.

I am fortunate enough with my VC, I have a thermostat housing that had provisions for a sender, as well as a sender in the back of the head....So I have used the housing for mine

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8