Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fix it, replace it or rebuild it?

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
As the others have said, Get a replacement engine and gearbox. $800 seems ok, Have you considered converting to manual while your at it?

What condition is the engine in that your looking at for $800? Ideally its better to find a donar car (perhaps from broadford car sales if your in vic). That way you have a COMPLETE change over plus lots of spares. Either that or try to get a VS one. Im not sure what the difference between VS Ecotecs and later models are, but i can imagne there would be a few small differences which could cause issues.

Are you going to do the change over yourself?

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
im now considering buying a complete VS wagon for $1200 from someone close by that just has some front left damage (hit a power pole)

Good engine and box, would also give me the bonnet and drivers gaurd and the replacement air con bits i need, then i can sell the rest that i dont need and maybe make a few hundred back from it.

My car currently has CAI and a 2.5" cat back so all i need is a set of headers once i get a replacement engine and box.

ive looked at places like autotrader and carsales for cheap acclaims and berlinas that i could put my mags and body kit onto, then sell my car to make back some cash. cause id realy like power windows and cruise control.

im still tossing and turning on what to do, i got $3000 to spend on the car, i dont wanna spend it all on engine as i still need some things like clubby rear bar, few interior mods, new headunit, lower the rear, new front discs and a few other odds and ends.

heres my car as it is now http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs/67549-chris-s-vs-project-huge-pics.html

atm im thinking buying the complete wagon is the bext bet.

as for a previous question, yeah im doing everything myself, only thing i cant do is any work that is needed to my gearbox, hence why i wanna just replace it.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey,

Damn mate, didn't realize it was "your" car. (I recognize it now)

The wagon could be a good idea as its fairly cheap. Might be worth looking in the trading post... Ive been looking for a donar car for my VR upgrades.

About 2 weeks ago a VS S3 Caprice V8 sold for $2000 with minor rear panel damage. The Caprice comes with things like electric leather seats, climate control, cruise control, power windows, level 3 cluster etc. So as an ongoing project you could move almost everything from the interior into your car... Making yours effectively a VS S3 Caprice (1998).

Im sure you could get your hands on a V6 version for around the same money. Or look at it this way... You could pull the engine/gearbox from it, and sell the rest for $2k so it actually wouldnt cost you anything. You just need parents who'll let you dismantle a car on their front lawn :p.

Dont know if this link will work, but have a look here...
ManheimFowles - Power Search Results

You can get some really good bargins/donor car

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Pitty your in NSW, I have a good engine that I'm selling cheap here in brisbane. Good luck with it.

Jezz

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
Ok, well replace it is what ive decided, i went to the local automatics place and after a 2 minute drive the gearbox was at 102c which apparently is not good, the box itself isnt bad but the cooling system is screwed, estimated 400-700 to get it up to scratch but considering the age of the box and the flogging ive given i was told im better of replacing it if i can find a good box.

so this arvo ill check out this car and if theres no oil leaks ill be towing it home saturday and using my long weekend to do an engine and box replacement.

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
ok maybe replace is not an option anymore.

the engine i went and had a look at last night only had 150PSI of compression on each cylinder which from what ive been told is a sign of a tired engine, i got 180 compression on my except the cylinder 3 which is where my blown head gasket is.

so im now considering just rebuilding my top end considering i have a good bottom end... too many decisions to make!

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Where were you looking at engines though? You should be able to find a decent condition engine for $200-400.... Maybe not from the wreckers though.

Check out ebay....
Ecotec V6 - eBay Other Engines, Components, Engines, Components, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 09-Jun-08 20:33:19 AEST)
$99 atm (will go up a bit) but thats a complete engine and looks in reasonable condition.

Here is a dealer selling complete engines for $500 with warranty...
holden 3.8 litre ecotec efi v6 152kw - eBay Other Engines, Components, Engines, Components, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Jun-08 14:58:33 AEST)

Also check out your local trading post.

Depending if you want a little more power... On a forum (not this one) there is a guy selling a L67 (Supercharged) engine and gearbox for $2600ono (Done 90,000kms) . Could probably get it for $2300... It comes with everything needed... They are very good engines and would increase your resale value a lot

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
biggest problem is that im in byron bay, postage from anywhere is a killer. plus id prefer to hear an engine running before i buy it.

but i have now decided to just rebuild my top end, ive talked to a few engine rebuilders and they all reckon my best bet is to reco my top end because i got a good bottom end, i have plans of cam and chip and other mods very soon aswell.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
That second link is cheap as, i guess the down side is u dont know how many kms its done, but with 3months warranty, is pretty good. and your getting a VX engine, which is 5kws more than your current engine.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
biggest problem is that im in byron bay, postage from anywhere is a killer. plus id prefer to hear an engine running before i buy it.

but i have now decided to just rebuild my top end, ive talked to a few engine rebuilders and they all reckon my best bet is to reco my top end because i got a good bottom end, i have plans of cam and chip and other mods very soon aswell.

Yeah fully understand that. Just worth looking at the alternatives. The only problem with rebuilding an engine is it can get very expensive, and if you've been thrashing yours recently there could be more wrong with it that you dont know about. I just like the idea of getting a complete engine and gearbox... mostly as its cheaper and it means you'll have a complete set of spares (water pump, alternator, power steering pump, injectors, etc etc etc).

BTW before you rule out postage completely... actually get a quote or two. It may not be as expensive as you think.