Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] fixing a head on a ED Fairmont Wagon

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Burn Ford
Buy Holden

fixed :)

I believe an ED will need to be machined as they often warp as well (alloy head on a cast block???), actually didn't mind the ED They drove well and were pretty reliable.

It kind of sounds like you haven't done this before, workshop manuals have the full procedure blow by blow - have you priced a reco motor, that many end up being the best option.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Thanks I will check the price for reco motors as well but please let me explain why I am discussing this issue THIS IS NOT HAVING A GO AT EVERYONE BUT PLEASE READ is because I am in a sa government care unit and have people who would happily wreck a car so I am thinking of getting this car so that if the idiots in my unit kick punch break things as long as they are not defectable no problems go for it so that way a poor innocent berlina wagon doesn't get destroyed by idiots

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick update waiting on manual to come through the mail and have torque wrench as well

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
good luck with it, shouldnt be too hard. Just follow the steps in the manual and work cleanly and organized you should be fine

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
actually didn't mind the ED, They drove well and were pretty reliable.

Ok, I have a confession to make, here goes, I own an ED Falcon.
It was my mums, she got it new, recently upgraded and gave me the coon, it has 150,000 kms and the thing is like new, she looked after it extremely well, I use it as a freeway commuter car. Surprisingly good on fuel and rides well. All I could ask for and it was free.

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

The trick do do most work on a care is knowing what you are doing (trite I know). The job is easy once you have been shown before, otherwise you can disassemble the top of the engine and be left with a pile of parts.

My suggestion is to get someone to help that has done it before to help. This way you can learn, have someone to help understand what the manual is saying and can give you a hand when yours are full.
If something happens you can work it out together, whereas by your self things can seem worse than they are.

Talk to your friends, maybe there is a father that can give you some pointers if you get stuck.

You may have to have the head machined (i.e. milled perfectly flat) otherwise the head gasket will blow again. Work out how you can do this before you lift the head.

I have done a few heads in my time, the first will give you the confidence to tackle more complex work.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i did an x-flow head (pretty much same as yours but cast iron) on my XC when i was 15 years old. i did it by myself in a paddock underneath a tin carport.

no expierence, no flashy tools, all k-mart junk, just me and a rebuild manual and i got that thing running like a dream.

suuuuper easy.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks all for the support i am waiting to get my Ps so i can get my good car then i will get the fairmont after a mechanic or an raa test but my good car will be a vt or vx berlina wagon with the ecotec and auto andmaybe in the orion silver or raven mica i have 4k in savings for my first car so it will be sweet by probably next week:blah blah::rofl2:

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
an update the fairmont got sold before I could et it a bit pissed but there will be another one soon have already found an xf fairmont wagon no mechanical issues but the usal not being started in 5 years