Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Floor pan replace tips and legalities

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
So looking at replacing a HZ floor pan, all 4 pieces. Just looking for some tips and if anyone can help with the legal side of things.
Cheers

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
you want legal advice on a floor pan? just unpick it at factory points and spot weld in the new ones.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
For road worthiness, as far as i can tell all over laps need to be at least 12.5mm.
My new floor comes in 4 pieces and are rust replacement parts from rare spares so its not as simple as unpicking the old and welding in the new. Iv sat the replacement in and chalked around it, iv then chalked a line 15mm in from that to allow for my overlap tolerance.
I read somewhere that there is a certain way the floor needs to be welded for it to pass a roadworthy. As in every 20mm there needs to be a tack weld.
Im pretty new to all this and the guy doing my welding doesn't want to do it unless we know exactly what needs to be done.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No problems with butt welding them. Drill out the spot welds and carefully cut the old floor out.

Since the body doesn't really form part of the chassis I have a feeling the regulations are a little different.

If you do it well enough, you shouldn't even be able to tell that it's been welded.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
as far as i know theres not going to be structural weld inspection on a car unless its under 15 years old and subject to a VIV inspection before registration.

in other words just make sure the welds are done right and have full penetration. grind your welds down flat where theyre not done in factory areas and blend the joins in with filler. as long as everything looks legit from the top and bottom during roadworthy inspection, nothing will come of it....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of places wouldnt check on a regular car presented for roadworthy.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
So looking at replacing a HZ floor pan, all 4 pieces. Just looking for some tips and if anyone can help with the legal side of things.
Cheers

Just get 4 pans a grinder and welder then go nuts.

Ok... Legalities: If you steal the steel then you will probably go to jail. If you buy it then you are probably ok. Unless you buy it with drug money. If you do that then it'll probably get seized as proceeds of crime. Unless you cut the local police in on your operation. This will eat into your profits but may help you stay in business longer. Just a tip though - HZ probably won't make a good getaway car. Even at their best they don't handle what so ever. Go find a Rex or something fast and zippy that will get you away from a sticky situation quick smart.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just get 4 pans a grinder and welder then go nuts.

Ok... Legalities: If you steal the steel then you will probably go to jail. If you buy it then you are probably ok. Unless you buy it with drug money. If you do that then it'll probably get seized as proceeds of crime. Unless you cut the local police in on your operation. This will eat into your profits but may help you stay in business longer. Just a tip though - HZ probably won't make a good getaway car. Even at their best they don't handle what so ever. Go find a Rex or something fast and zippy that will get you away from a sticky situation quick smart.

giphy.gif