Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] " fog lights" rules....

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Was coming home from the city with a mate and got pulled up by highway patrol on prinny highway. He stung me 141$ for having Fog lights on when not required.... Lol I thought he was joking. Anyway i go home laugh some more and do some research, they say driving lights are ok. And then I find the receipt for these lights because they are aftermarket due to a bumper swap from omega to ss bars. On the receipt ut says they are 100 watt h11 driving lights... What do people think???

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Driving lights are at headlight line of sight anything below that are classified as fog lights and yes unless you are driving through fog or dust or smoke then they are illegal any other time having them on

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Driving lights must also only come on with high beam and have an isolation switch so that high beam can be used without the driving lamps.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
100w are high beam strength. I'm not surprised you got booked.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
100watts isn't driving lights...
imagine oncoming motorists copping 100watts in their eyes - no different to high beam. I often curse high power 'driving lights' for this reason!

not sure in other states, but in Qld if the lights are factory fitted, it all depends on what the manufacturer names them. If they refer to them as fog lights, you can't use them for anything but fog and/or high beam situations. If they consider them driving lights, then you can use them under normal circumstances. However, having said that, you can only fit the same wattage lights as the OEM driving light. No way a manufacturer would fit 100W driving lights.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Driving lights do not have to be at headlight level.... And I'm not 100% sure if they are 100wat I just sent a message to my supplier on eBay. I'm going to write a letter to civic compliance explaining I just got my car back that week from insurance from a front bumper repair and was unaware they were on. And furthermore the police office had his on.. And then explain in my opinion of a qualified motor mechanic they are different to a "fog light" they are fog housings with a driving light globe.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
These so called "fog lights" on cars now a days are a bastardisation of proper fog lights. They are not a true fog light.
Fog lights have yellow lenses and vertically cut off beams. Similar to the low beam cut off on a projector headlight.
Go to any auto store and have a look. Hella, for example.
The purpose of this, is that the yellow light penetrates the fog and does not reflect back as white light does.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Pity the cops don't blitz it.
Want to try driving all night with idiots with "fog lights" on with 100w globes. There is no way most of these "fog lights" have the low wattage globes in them.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Just an undate, they are 55watt halogen h11 which are driving lights.... Fog lights are yellow as previously stated, when adjusted correctly all these do are widen the wrong angle and in my opinion provide a safer night time driving experience..... I will be writing a letter to civic compliance telling them they are a driving light and not a fog light, i will be attaching photos and sections from
The road safety act section 217 and also vic roads and further more the road worthy book from work. Can't hurt to try!! After all, they are NOT fog lights. So I was issued an incorrect ticket.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Fog lights are not always yellow, yes yellow is the best colour for visibility in fog, but its how the lens spreads the light which makes it fog or driving light.

Double check urs before writing the letter to ensure the lens is not a fog lens, otherwise it could get messy and expensive if it ends up in court.