Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Forget face detection - this Japanese car seat can tell who's sitting on it

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
Who needs face detection when your car can know who's sitting in it based on their rear-end? A group of Japanese researchers at the Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology (AIIT) have developed a car seat that can identify drivers while they're sitting down.

pictures

The way the technology works is pretty simple. The seat is retrofitted with 360 different sensors. Those sensors take into account things like your weight, the highest value of pressure on the seat, and where you come in contact with the seat. The idea is that we all sit in car seats relatively the same way each time, so the seat should be able to tell who is sitting in it, ensuring that the person is the owner of the car rather than a car thief.

pictures

While it seems like the tech might be problematic, the researchers claim the seat is able to accurately identify the person sitting in it 98 percent of the time. That's a pretty impressive accuracy rate, but it also means that one in every 50 times the seat would in theory not be able to recognize you, potentially resulting in your inability to drive your own car. It's also not clear how the seat would deal with things like weight loss or gain, the wearing of unusual clothing, or injuries that might effect how you sit down.

The AIIT researchers hope to work with car companies to bring the tech to vehicles as an anti-theft features in the next two to three years.

What do you think? Would you be interested in seat detection in your car?
To Prevent Theft: Car Seat Identifies Drivers Sitting Down | TechCrunch

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
thats another 360 sensors that can stuff up, bugger that

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
You'd think that we could use our technology for better things like cancer research or better space travel or something, not some dumb arse chair that tells me I'm sitting in it. Duh, I already know.

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
Arse recognition technology? What will they think of next?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
You'd think that we could use our technology for better things like cancer research or better space travel or something, not some dumb arse chair that tells me I'm sitting in it. Duh, I already know.

I assume it's intended to be developed as an anti-theft device, which would be a worthwhile cause IMO

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
Hmmmm, arse detecting seat sensors. If I put a supercheap hsv seat cover set on mine, will it detect that i'm a bogan?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Hmmmm, arse detecting seat sensors. If I put a supercheap hsv seat cover set on mine, will it detect that i'm a bogan?
Might even call the police on you