Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Formula holden buick based v6's

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
one thing im a lil surious on are the heads. Can the stock ones even flow enough for what the formula holden older style motors were? there isnt a hell of lot of room for larger valves but if they used the standard inlet manifolds which i remember seeing a pic of and also trust greenfoams judgement then they musta had some massive work.

Yeah the heads were ported stockies it showed them in the book, hakkies got the book he showed me scans or something once, the ports woulda been ported almost all the way to the water, look at the size of the cam and the headers if you want to know where the power came from :)

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
true true good point. They must of been seriously close to the water jackets using the stock heads lol. you seem to always have the answers greenfoam lol. looks like standard fuel rail and coilpacks too. by your pics

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I also believe hakky has done a engine simulation with all the other parts using stock ported heads and made the 340 hp too. When I bought that memcal (I posted the tune up there) ^. The guy was selling heads cams / everything from a Formula Holden for really cheap too, I could have had the whole engine nearly for a couple hundred bucks but I didnt want itm I just wanted the memcal :p

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
you coulda seriously had that engine for that much?!? I would have so jumped at that fro at least some form of $$$$ to make if i wasnt gonna use it

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
which is the wade cam used? I guess going a bit more sedate from that, big head work and different injectors(im guessing the magna ones or the older ford ones spoken of earlier) a more sensible tune, lil compression raising and you got a similar doable engine? This is one of the main points of this post give people a good NA V6 to aim for and some specs and interesting facts and what not.

P

Pav

Sorry if this is off-topic, but what about the VN engines used in Saloon car racing, cos my mate races an AU falcon and it puts out around 260 rwhp (i think thats right, I'm not sure), so what do ya reckon the power level of the VN engines is? And what kind of specs they have to make that power? Cos I reckon that would be more feasible than the formula engines, seeing as the saloon cars only run stock bottom ends.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The saloon car specs can be found in the rulebook for them on the cams site.

Jeseppe

Wade part number 1058a

Ex .340
In .340
82-46
50-78

.525 106

Formula Holden
full mod engine

The two below it are
1365a

Ex .313
In .313

74-28
34-64

228 Hyd
Hyd

Needs comp,
suit speedway

686a

Ex .334
In .334

74-34
38-70

Midrange to top end
Needs springs

There another one below the first of the last two before you get to the mild 992a

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
wow looks like a sparked a lil interest? do you know what sorta compression ratios they used in the stronger bottom ends?

10:1?

one thing im a lil surious on are the heads. Can the stock ones even flow enough for what the formula holden older style motors were? there isnt a hell of lot of room for larger valves but if they used the standard inlet manifolds which i remember seeing a pic of and also trust greenfoams judgement then they musta had some massive work.

Slightly larger valves I think.

Somewhere I have a copy of a paper presented at a(n) (SAE?) conference on the original spec. and the early development for the Formula Holdens. I'll see if I can dig it up.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Thanks for the cam specs. So the 686a would be suitable in building a tamed down formula holden engine? i think the speedway suited one woulda quite be doable for people to try for street lol. Saloon car specs would definately be helpful too, give some more ideas, joining a bit from each style of engine could make a decent semi streetable package.