Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

frustrating cars lol

v6 panelvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
wb panelvan
hey guys

putting a vs commodore ecotec v6 into my wb panelvan atm and im so close to getting it run but having some problems. turns over and comes so close to running but JUST wont get there, pretty sure it isnt getting spark but have no idea why? just wondering if anyone has any ideas, i know it could be one of many things lol, but thort id ask. will prob run a self diagnostic test on it tonight and see what codes it spits out.

also, is the DFI module\coil packs on vs's earthed? and where too? there is a single black wire hanging out from under the DFI module with a spade connector on the end of it but goes nowhere, and i cant remember what it plugged into... just wondering if its an earth.

anyways any help would be muchly appreciated cause im out of ideas and getting frustrated lol

cheers guys

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Try checking for any logged error codes.Heres a link to a post that shows you how to do this if you dont know how to.If you scroll down near the bottom of the posts in the link,theres revised instructions and excellent pics.(Sorry,forgot its in a WB panelvan)The 16 pin ALDL connector should be somewhere along the wiring harness that goes to/from the ECU to the engine unless someone has cut it off..You might be able to find the right wire and earth it,you will also have to find the check engine dashlight wire that comes from the ECU.
---https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307---
The only other option to see if the ECU is working ok with no errors logged, is to use a diagnostic scanner,but to do this, you will still need to find the ALDL connector or wires.
Also the single wire hanging down from the DFI module with the spade type connector, connects to a wire that comes from the AC compressor on the commodores.The check engine light wire is Brown/white and comes from ECU connector F5 (the blue connetcor)..The wire that "when earthed",puts the ECU into diagnostic mode is a White/black wire that comes from ECU connector pin number B3,which is in the middle pink plug somewhere.The ECU pins are marked in the plastic plugs on the ECU.Theyre just tiny and hard to see.You could just connect a cheap LED type test light to the check engine light wire if the ALDL plug has been cut off,as long as it flashes clearly.You can get these for $5 -$10 at supercheap etc..

Last edited:

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Yes the coil parks are ment to be earthed, Bolted to the left head is how GMH did it, Run a Big earth to both heads for best earthing.

And yep the single black wire needs a home I think it goes to a green wire that comes from the loom where the TB and TPS plugs come from.

v6 panelvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
wb panelvan
thanks for the link mate, ill have to give it a go tonite, see what error codes i get. i put in the ALDL connector and made sure i added an engine warning light to the dash so it should be sweet, as long as i wired it up right lol.

that single wire from the DFI, do u guys know what its for? im guessing since i didnt pull the engine apart, just took it out of the commo, that the coil packs r still earthed to the block... meaning i may just need to earth the block to the chassis or something since the wb mounts have rubber in them.

WAFFEN SS, not sure what u mean by 'TB' and 'TPS' plugs? which ones r these?

also my brother reckons that last night when we were trying to start it that he saw a spark come from the starter motor? if this is true does anyone know what could be causing this? im sure it cant be good...

cheers guys!

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Can't help you with the mystery wire as I have a Vr, however I'm guessing the TPS plug is the Throttle Position Sensor (on the bottom of the throttle body), The TB one I'm not sure, haven't paid to much attention to vs', but I would guess its the idle air control valve on the throttle body (if its similar to the vr throttle body).

If your not sure if you have spark disconnect one spark plug lead from the dfi module and crank the engine over real quick, you should be able to see nice big blue arcs if you do have spark.

With the starter motor sparking, get under their and check the the wires are only touching where they are meant to be and at the right angle etc to make sure you don't have a dead short

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
How have you gotten past the immobilizer? VATS deleted memcal?

v6 panelvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
wb panelvan
hey guys good news, IT RUNS!!! lol. finally got it to run last night.

the spark from the starter was just a loose connection so i fixed that, ran the diagnostic test and it spat out code 23, something about the voltage to the air sensor was too high, not sure how to fix this tho???

anyway i disconnected the sensor and it fired up!!! only problem now is that with out this sensor it only really idles, and revs pretty rough because im guessing the fuel to air mixture wont be right without the sensor. but if i plug the sensor bak in while its idling it just dies. so now i gotta figure out how to fix that problem! but atleast i know ive done everything else right lol!

turns out the mystery wire was just as brett_jjj said, it was simply power to the air con compressor which im not running anyway.

as for getting around the immobilizer, i had to buy a customizer BCM (body control module) from v6 conversions, it basically tricks the engine into believing its still in the commo and allows it to start with my stock wb panelvan key and ignition.

anyways im pretty stoked its finally running, just gotta fix the air sensor problem and then its off to get a new exhaust, sounds awesome atm tho just running extractors and nothing else lol, clears the shed out when i start it up lol

cheers