Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel econonomy on lpg v8

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
the memcal tune probably won't make *as* big of a difference on gas as petrol but for the price it's worth it. gas needs more timing at low rpm and less timing at high rpm, and even on the gas the memcal still controls the timing. so the stock tune doesn't have enough timing down low, yet it has too much up top. advancing the timing on the dizzy alone is dangerous practice because you risk detonation at high rpm. i would go for a foam tune over a dyno tune, its 15x cheaper and greenfoam is spot on with the 5ltrs. then all you need to do is get the gas tuned as well and it will be great.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
My VP wagon 5 litre on LPG (dual fuel mixer setup) was getting 15L-17L/100km suburban driving, and got around 11-12L/100km on the highway. Its all in bits at the moment cos i'm rebuilding the engine as well as lots of other stuff. The old dizzy and rotor button looked pretty stuffed, but i still got good economy. I'll be interested to see if the good economy i was getting will change for better or worse when its all back together, with a mild cam, new coil, dizzy, leads, plugs, etc.

PietroChocko

Nurses do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a VN Executive 5.0, but now a Ford Laser Auto.
Mine averaged 15-17L/100km in the city. On the highway that would drop to about 10ishL/100km.

I've blown the odd airbox or two... fun times.

evil_mx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5t statesman
wow guys, some ppl are getting great economy. I have just sent a spare memcal to foam so ill see how that goes once its in.....after a memcal tune is it worth getting the gas system dyno tuned as well?

evil_mx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5t statesman
well ive been told that to get the gas research gas systems tuned properly they are done on the dyno....so they can adjust it throughout the rev range.....but either way im guessing you recomend getting a tune done once the memcal has been done?
cheers :)

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
hmm, well that would be a pretty good tune, but i guess it would be expensive too :p. my gas installer doesn't have a dyno so i don't know exactly how they tune it but i don't think it's all that complicated, just an idle mixture and full throttle mixture and something else i believe. my gas setup is pretty simple and i don't even think you can adjust it throughout the rev range. maybe the gas research ones are different so before taking my word for it give a few places a ring and see what they say :p

but either way, after the foam tune is in, gas tune is a 100% must!

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
i have a vs berlina 5ltr, duel fuel with a gas research set up i get around 16-17 ltrs/100kms around town and after about half hour on an open long hwy i can get into the 9's/100kms depending on wind conditions or if its raining ect ect but never really higher than 11ltrs/100km. but basicly for 17lts around town is bloody good man im very happy as it basicly means $10 per 100ks wich is very good for a v8, i was driving a vq stato 5ltr before this and $10 was getting me no more than 40ks (just cruising) so be thankfull for what ya got lol

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
hmmmm.....i thought that she would of been a bit better.....well the other day a done a 160km round trip on the freeway....all hway driving....the cars readout was 9.8L/100km....avg speed readout 91km/h.....and when i filled the gas up my average consumption based on kms and litres filled was 15L/100km......
Are the gas research systems generally better? and will they benefit much from a proper memcal tune and then a dyno tune to adjust the gas to the new tune?

Did you guys notice any improvement when you got a dyno/ memcal tune done to the car (performance and econonomy) ?

Cheers :)

You can adjust the flow rate to get an accurate reading on gas. The flow rate = 625 factory setting for petrol. Bump this up to say 700 to see if the readings are closer to what you get by lts/distance calculate manually. So when you fill the gas tank the lts used = the same.

You set this by having the trip in avg mode (middle window) and press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds. You should see 625 come up, while holding in the reset button press the + button to raise the reading.

evil_mx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5t statesman
cool mate, just done that, but either way.....i just cruise with my car and rarely do i put the foot down. Plus most of my driving is on the open road either 80-100km/h.......so anything under 15's is going to be good.....i just think that 17L/100km with easy driving on open roads/hways is a bit high.....my mix of driving is 70% hway - 30% city......