Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
For those out of warranty are there aftermarket ones that are plug and play and more reliable?
It’s not an “out of (factory) warranty“ issue if you understand Australian Consumer Law. ACL affords you a statutory warranty that has no defined duration. The statutory warranty duration is related to what a reasonable consumer would expect from the product they buy when price is factored in.

Injectors are a life of the vehicle component (along with cat converters, airbags and other parts) so they simply shouldn’t fail. In that context if you have injector failure within a reasonable period from new, keeping in mind it’s a life of vehicle component, then Holden should fix it gratis as part of their ACL statutory warranty obligations in law. And this is regardless of the fact ones vehicle factory warranty may have expired. As said, the duration of the statutory warranty period is related to reasonable consumer expectations considering price paid and this must be heavily influenced by what component failed with life of vehicle components having a much much longer duration (look at takata airbag issue for inspiration).

As is, there is no indication that the injector issue is due to an injector design defect. Rather, the problem seemed to be related to a bad batch of poorly manufactured injectors. As such, any replacement factory injectors should fully resolve the issue (unless GM/H is playing games and hasn’t cleansed their stock of the problem injectors but I doubt that since class actions would ensue). So replacement factory injectors will fix the problem.

In that context, why even consider buying some aftermarket injectors at your cost to fix what is in essence Holdens responsibility as defined in law?

3reddogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Manual
Following up from my Injector Failure, Holden Customer Care are playing hard ball and won't replace the other 7 injectors.

HCC did say they would replace the injector if it failed outside of the warranty period though.

Does anyone know if it is Techline 20-4-002 that covers replacing all 8 injectors please? Holden denied there was one out.

My dealer replaced all my injectors in December Under warranty after one Or two had failed, had the service light on and was running like a tractor and loss of power/get up & go. I was told Holden were replacing all 8 even if only one failed.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
My dealer replaced all my injectors in December Under warranty after one Or two had failed, had the service light on and was running like a tractor and loss of power/get up & go. I was told Holden were replacing all 8 even if only one failed.

That was the most frustrating part when the first injector failed - Holden and the dealer only agreeing to replace the dodgy one, not all of them like I know Holden had done for other people.

It shouldn't have taken a second one to fail for them to replace all the remaining injectors.

Suzen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS UTE
I have a 2014 VF SS Ute which I bought new. It has about 58000 k's. service done in March 2020. Had to take it there yesterday as idled rough drove rough and warning lights came on. Issue fuel injector. Holden sent request for it to be replaced by Warranty team, knocked back. Cost $642 + $130labour. Told me wear and tear and out of warranty. I'm still unhappy as it not f'n wear and tear. I use premium or ultimate fuel. Any advice. Thank you

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Looks like I've just experienced the dreaded "service ESP", rough idle, engine light on, first start this morning. Sounds like failed fuel injector(s). VF1 SS, 5yr warranty ended last year. I'll have to see what arrangements I can make in Melb given lockdown. My servicing dealer is open for emergency repairs, so we'll see how it goes.. Wish me luck...

Biff308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2013
Best of luck!! It's worth mentioning the known fault to the servicing dealer and that Holden are covering it. When mine went late last year, once they'd diagnosed the fault being the dodgy injectors it was all covered by Holden and I was given a loan car to get around while they had my beast for a couple of days. They replaced all 8 injectors. Interestingly, I still get the odd rough idle from time to time, nowhere near as bad as when the injectors went but I get nervous. Also with the demise of Holden, hopefully they'll still do it........ Good luck! I'd be interested to know how you go.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Looks like I've just experienced the dreaded "service ESP", rough idle, engine light on, first start this morning. Sounds like failed fuel injector(s). VF1 SS, 5yr warranty ended last year. I'll have to see what arrangements I can make in Melb given lockdown. My servicing dealer is open for emergency repairs, so we'll see how it goes.. Wish me luck...

I just had all my injectors replaced yesterday free of charge even though the warranty ran out last year.
I was gearing up for a fight to get it done under warranty but they said straight out they would replace them. Even going to fix my "service airbag" issue for free.
Check post 16 below for the dealer i went through and see if you can get to them.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...7-cylinders-smoking-help-please.284018/page-3

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Thanks fellas. @Kakodaemon, good to hear PC did the right thing. Did you call first or just turn up? I'm ~9.5k from PC & ~8.5k from WH (selling/servicing dealer). I called WH but they're running reduced hours 8am-1:30pm. I'll decide & get the car trucked tomorrow. Will update with progress.

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I know there are 37 pages of posts but is it pot luck on how long the injectors last? City v country mileage? Manual v auto? Fuel used? Distance travelled? Climate?
For what’s worth 90% of my mileage is cruise control on and I have run United E10 almost exclusively. I’ve done 49,000 k.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Thanks fellas. @Kakodaemon, good to hear PC did the right thing. Did you call first or just turn up? I'm ~9.5k from PC & ~8.5k from WH (selling/servicing dealer). I called WH but they're running reduced hours 8am-1:30pm. I'll decide & get the car trucked tomorrow. Will update with progress.

@steen I had to call first and organise as they are also on reduced hours, only working Mondays and Tuesdays so gotta get in quick.
PC are also 9.5km from where i live but only a few kms from my work. I have a work permit and my car is a daily driver that was overdue for a service and needed emergency repairs so basically i didn't care it was outside the 5km. When i called to organise they Did ask if i had a permit to work and said i had to bring it with me, when i got there i brought it in with me thinking they'd want a copy or at least look at it but they didn't, so i guess if you don't have one you can still try and organise a repair just hour they don't ask to see it.