Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Injectors, easy enough to clean or change yourself or not?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore 3.0 litre
Hi all, just curious about my fuel injectors they have never been cleaned or looked at in the time I have had my VL and I know they could use some TLC. Just wanting some advice about cleaning or changeing them myself. Is it easy enough to do or should I leave it to the mechanics/auto elec? If anyone has done them their selves info on how to would be much appreciated.
Some pics would be great if anyone has them.

CHEERS AND BEERS:thumbsup: ::drink:

Last edited:

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
i've changed a few. here's a run down of how to change them:
1- depressurise the fuel system
2- drain coolant
3- remove intake pipe and breather hoses
4- remove all vac, breather & coolant lines from plenum
5- undo the 4 top and 3 bottom plenum bolts and remove
6- undo fuel hoses, and rail bolts, injector retaining screws and remove rail and injectors in one assembly
7- using circlip pliers remove the retainer from the injector
8- remove injectors from rail (they'll be pretty well stuck)
9- you can replace the injector pintle caps if you need to by just pulling (or breaking) the old ones off and pushing on the new. they clip in when they are on fully
10- while they are off you can get them cleaned/throw them in the bin or whatever and then reinstall.
11- remember new o-ring seals on the injector to manifold join is a good idea and so is a new plenum gasket. may as well clean everything up too while you are there :) also you may as well change your coolant and DON"T FORGET THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE! if you dont want a cracked head

thats about it i think....i'm in a bit of a rush so probably forgot something

by the way on your first attempt at doing this it will take a while probably 2-3hrs, with a workshop manual and some patience it isn't that hard just take your time and be careful

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
oh and there are heaps of hoses to remove from the plenum so make sure you label them if you think you'll forget where they go and make sure you do the clamps up tight when you put them back on. nothing worse than leaks (air or coolant) to piss you off after doing it all the first time

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore 3.0 litre
Thanks for your help snake, been real busy, just getting back into fixing up the VL!