Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Problem

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Having some fuel problems:

- Chewing way too much fuel
- Car can be hesitant off the lights
- Car will splutter when coming to a stop sometimes and has stalled twice from R to D and D to R

Checked the codes and it keeps throwing code 76 at me: 'air/fuel variation between left and right banks'.

Now before I get shot down I have been reading threads on similar issues for the last week or so to try and identify the problem. I know it could be a few things so i started having a look around the engine bay. Took the plenum off to discover a lot of fuel in the plenum, i.e very wet looking and was fuel on the top edges where the plenum seals. I checked the vacuum hose from the FPR and it looked fine, took it off and it was clear, started car with it disconnected from the plenum but it wasn't spitting any fuel out.

Have also check all other hoses etc and any possible vacuum leaks on the plenum. Im still assuming its the FPR as there is way too much fuel up the top of the plenum compared to when it wasn't running rich.

Now it could also be the oxy sensors but i have had that problem before and it was never seeing that much fuel in the plenum.

If it is the FPR how much are they to replace and how do I remove the fuel lines from it, If anyone has tried they will notice its not just a normal hose, I have heard on here that I need a tool for it????.

Any help guys would be much appreciated as Its using way too much fuel and sick of the poor economy and soot all over my bumper.

silver_bullet

Now Genesis Blue Bullet
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore S
maybe check ur injectors. even tho they tend to completly **** themselves when they fail, some just slowly **** themselves. does your engine run rough at all, like maybe a lazy valve or something, very unlikley. just do normal stuff first. change fuel filters, take your tank off and give it a clean out and check pump isnt clogged, just things that dont cost money. if they dont work, better pay someone to have a look.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I know the feeling the same thing was happening to me not long ago not the air fuel variation though. I gave the car a good service and got it tuned and all was good again.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd be changing the coolant temp sensor - the one that tells the computer that the engine is warm now and doesn't need a rich mixture. When this fails the engine will run rich.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
I'd be changing the coolant temp sensor - the one that tells the computer that the engine is warm now and doesn't need a rich mixture. When this fails the engine will run rich.

Yeah changed this with a brand new one probably around a year ago now. Suppose I can give it a try as well and they're not real pricey. Prob will change the FRP as well and will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
you can also check these sensors rather then needlesly replace them.

Get a multi meter and a gregorys manual. It will tell you exactly what to do and how to do it, for the cost of about $50 bucks for both, you can save yourself allot of problems.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
you can also check these sensors rather then needlesly replace them.

Get a multi meter and a gregorys manual. It will tell you exactly what to do and how to do it, for the cost of about $50 bucks for both, you can save yourself allot of problems.

yeah checked the sensor just this morning and its fine. Will grab a new fuel pressure regulator (FPR) just a stock one for now. anyone know the rough cost of the OEM replacements?