Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Tank Capacity V Fuel Gauge/TC Readings VZ Calais

MartinJS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
Hi all, no issues as such, had the Calais now for 2 Months done over 3000k's with no dramas but finding the Trip Computer warns of low Fuel really early.
Average Fuel economy so far is under 10L per 100kms (Live in county town)

Three times now I've had the low fuel warning for over 50k's, Fuel gauge sitting on E but when I fill her up it's only taken between 60 to 63L, I know the tank has a 75L capacity so whats going on?

Just trying to find out in case I ever need to go closer to the limit, when does the Low Fuel Warning come on and when does the very low fuel warning come on!

Thanks
Martin

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Modern cars don't like running completely out of fuel, I guess it also stops people getting stranded by always having some reserve once it gets to "empty"?

If you enter the diagnostics menu on the dash (I'd suggest only using it when stopped) it gives you a fuel level reading. Maybe you could check the number when full, and when the low fuel comes on?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not all cars have the very low, i have used 73L in mine and refilled up 73L but still never seen the very low until i drained the tank, there is usually 5-10 liters more then the gauge is calibrated for so when people use the 73L it isnt bone dry, if yours isnt accurate the sender may becoming faulty, when u fill up reset it and the liters used should be pretty close to the liters u fill up again with

JohannesM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2004 Station Wagon 6Cyl Ecotech Luminaire
Is the fuel level also indicated in the menu in the VZ 2004 version?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Commodores (and probably other makes) maintain a 'reserve' level of fuel in the tank in order to ensure that the ultra high pressure fuel delivery system doesn't run dry. Also used to keep the fuel delivery system cooled (by having fuel constantly pumped throughout lines etc (obviously while driving). This is the advice I received from Service Manager at Holden Dealer when I queried why my 75 litre tank would ever only allow me to access 65 +- litres.