Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Tank,Fuel Pump Assembly and Swirl Pot.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3

Vp4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 93 wagon
This thread should be a sticky!!!

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Hi Brett_jjj,

Couple of questions regarding a scenario my partner has encountered with her VP (Late 92 Model)

(Thank you for these pics, they'll help greatly in future attempts to get a fuel pump back in :) )

As my partner is one of those stubborn self learners/starters etc she attempted changing a fuel pump herself. This is where it get's tricky... She grabbed a second hand pump from a VN, fitted it to the fuel sender pipes and had installed in less than 20mins... (Of course I was not "impressed" It took me 3 hours to do the one on my VS, way to emasculate a bloke right?)... Second, general rule of thumb, no second hand pumps... Third... The fact she got it back installed (Properly, or so I thought) in 20 mins with out issue, primed, cranked, and 4 weeks later still running...
Well of course she was feeling quite the mechanic afterwards, however I questioned her about this hose and funny enough this hose was not attached on the unit she pulled out of the tank nor was it put on going back into the tank (as I'm led to believe)...
At this stage, we can run that VP to near empty and not have one issue at all?
My question: Is it possible having the hose lying on the bottom of tank, 100% of the time, going to cause cut outs and fuel issue's not having the return there in the future (Probably? right?) I mean if it hasn't stalled by now, it should have being nearly empty all the damn time!!! Not to sure what to think? short of taking it back out... But that comes with more issue's than I am prepared to accept right now :p
I find it a little strange that a hose can be detached, and the car not be affected? (of course the alternative, My partner did connect it and didn't know? Although it's something you wouldn't forget doing immediately after installing a pump?)
Anyways, If there is any anomalies you could perhaps suggest it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank mate :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Most of what I've read here doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Firstly the old return line is now around 18 to 20 years old and has been submerged in fuel all that time. Now in that time the hose becomes extremely hard and brittle thus when you attempt to remove the pump / sender unit from the tank it will instantly stress the return line and snap it off inside the tank thus leaving the connector and a small section of hose attached to the swirl pot end.

I did my wagon with live axle a couple of years ago and ended up removing the tank so as to get better access. If it was purely for the pump and not having to solve the return line issue I would've done it in situ and not remove the tank. Anyway my son had the skinniest wrists back then and I got him to reach into the tank and use a spindle drive and undo the clamp and pull off the old hose, slide on a new piece of hose and do up the worm drive clamp again, problem solved.

Now in this thread I noticed that no one has done this with an IRS diff set up where you can not lower the diff as it is mounted to the cradle and thus you don't have the clearance to withdraw the long pump and float assembly. I feel that the only way to do the job on an IRS unit is to remove the tank and do the job externally and then re-install the tank. I'm looking for a kid with a skinny wrist again and I'm wondering if my next door neighbours 11 year old with have the aptitude to do it as she's a girl that plays with girls stuff and she's not a tom boy.

So I'm asking the question here, has anyone done a pump withdrawal in a vehicle that has IRS fitted ?

Cheers.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yes I have done it several times, you do have to drop the tank enough to allow the pump to be removed. I would have removed the tank but the breather hose to the filler pipe was being a prick, so I did it attached.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Yes, do yourself a favour, remove the tank, allows you to replace all those shitty little hoses that split and leak on to the tank.

A-Train74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Im having this struggle right now. But thanks for the great pics........

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Well, I replaced the fuel pump on my VS Calais (IRS V8) with a new (standard) unit without having to take the tank off. You have to be careful disconnecting the swirl hose and make sure it doesn't slip back into the tank out of reach. Bit fiddly getting the float and pump back into the tank but it didn't take too long. Only problem I can remember having afterwards was a leaking seal. Fixed it up with some aviation gasket sealant.