Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Usage

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
dear me, power doesnt make you go faster.. its just wishful thinking

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
and if you dont think your car is powerful enuff on normal, buy a v8 :) since the cost on a v8 over a v6 will be equaled out with the fuel you use using Power :p

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
lol @ joey haha

i have just got my VR and havent really tested the fuel economy yet. im still just over half way through the tank apparently though and i have 235km's done so far.

hey, people keep saying that if you get a CAI it can increase fuel economy. how much truth is in that?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Depends how you drive, also makes it easier to burn petrol when you put the foot down...

However you will get a little extra economy when driving like a nana.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
sircruisealotVS said:
i completely disagree with that statement mate...
i know alot of ppl who have four bangers and they do a tonne of driving yet they only put $30 in it every second week.
when i was given a four banger lancer for a replacement car when mine was in the panel beaters i flogged it around town (foot to the floor style) for a week and it never even used half of the tank.when it came time to take it back with a full tank i put $20 in it.
you could never do that in a 6 or 8.
well your entitled to your opinion,i put $60.00 in per fornight and lasts me a fortnight with left overs(and obviously a 6cyl fuel tank is bigger in capacity)
not being rude or anything,but are you a mechanic or just a tinkerer?
this theory has been tried and tested in certain conditions.plus you seem to be missing the point....highway driving 4cyl revving at 25000RPM(5th gear.)...6cyl revving at 1850 RPM in 5th gear...which one is revving the hardest? the harder the revs the more fuel used.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
sircruisealotVS said:
iwhen it came time to take it back with a full tank i put $20 in it.
you could never do that in a 6 or 8.

you think...i can get 250K's outta $20.00
loike i said,and i'm no perfect driver,everyone drives differently,therefore everones fuel economy is going to be different,I.E people brake when they don't have to,people labor their cars,people put the foot down so it will kick back down to 3rd to overtake another vehicle,all these little things contribute to excessive fuel consumption.also not everyones car is in reasonable tune,you will never get an exact tune on any motor..

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
my vs v6 does 12 ltrs to the 100 k's on unleaded at 110km/h and the heads are shot from lpg hope to have better results after getting hardened valves and seats put in

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
samuels..dont worry mate you've missed my point completely.
any body (whether they are a bloody mechanic or just joe blow) can relate/understand that a v6 has less fuel economy than a 4 banger.
end of story,thanx for comin.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
sircruisealotVS said:
samuels..dont worry mate you've missed my point completely.
any body (whether they are a bloody mechanic or just joe blow) can relate/understand that a v6 has less fuel economy than a 4 banger.
end of story,thanx for comin.
OK dude....people assume 4 cyl use less fuel...they don't....end of story...proven fact....thnx for coming

logical and technical,take a chainsaw for example revving at 8000-12000 rpm,YES i realise the fuel tank is way smaller but you use that fuel up in 10 mins at full throttle,1/2 hour if your at half throttle,but chainsaws aren't designed to be run at half throttle.
it's all about the engines RPM the less RPM the less fuel on highway use,fair enough i grant you 4 cyl's are good around town IF you don't tear arse around.