Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Funny Engine Noise

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
Hi guys I have just noticed in the last few days when I am accelerating going through the gears (its an auto executive) I can here the motor almost making a "pinging" noise which makes me think it might need a tune up but the noise almost sounds metallic like and when I take my foot off the accelerator it stops and when the car is standing still and I rev it and all sounds normal, any ideas? cheers

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
Which would make one think its the gearbox and not the engine right?

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
A metallic pinging noise from your engine bay can also be caused by the exhaust heat shield bolts becoming loose and the silver cover rattling against the engine at certain speeds/RPMs etc.

Mine rattles slightly while driving but doesn't make a noise unless I have it in gear.

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
yeah its more a "light" metallic sound than anything to do with the gearbox so I will check the heat shields tomorrow gear changes are normally smooth., thanks

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
its not detonating is it? does it happen for an extended period of time if you sink the boot or does it stop after a couple of times?

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Probably heat sheilds. Get rid of 'em.

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
When I floor it everthing is sweet but when it's a slow acceleration I get the noise it's not loud just weird, I was gonna try putting some 98 in it to see if higher octane changes anything and then I could rule out detonating maybe. But more liable to be heat shields I think

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Probably heat sheilds. Get rid of 'em.

Can you get rid of them without any problems?? I was thinking of taking them off and installing a new gasket where it bolts into the engine.

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
Could the power steering make that noise as im driving along? Just noticed when I put the car in the garage tonight that it was making a squealing noise and checked the fluid level and it was on low, cars done 71000 km to, any ideas appreciated

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Power steering would not make a metallic noise. If there is air in the system from the fluid being too low, you would hear a groaning noise every time u move the wheels.

You could test this by turning the wheels from lock to lock while the car is parked. if there's bubbles coming out your power steering has air in it....