Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

G8 number plate position

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Evenin Guys, Just trying to suss out a good way to mount a slim NSW rego plate to a G8. A local bloke here has a G8 and the way they've mounted the plate is shockin, mounted directly below the grilles:hmmm:
I'm thinking of making up a mounting frame possibly to mount the plate on the lower grills, probably over to the right outa the way. Firstly would it be legal? Is there a requirement that the plate be mounted in the centre of the grill? If not then i reckon it should be easy to fold something up out of thin alloy plate.
If anyone has any other ideas, or better yet pics of how others have mounted theres i'd appreciate it!
I did the smart thing and told the dealer not to mount the plate, i'll zip tie it into place for the drive home, that way the lovely body work won't have ugly holes drilled in it.

Thanks
Bill

marcdon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Evec 05
Don't put it to the side....it looks rice. I think it has to be "seen easily" as long as it isn't facing down i think its legal
A local car down here has slim line plates but didn't put one on the front....just put the back one on had it for about 4months and not a problem....highway cops down here are pretty good but.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Do some research mate. There was an amendment made to the law relating to the mounting of front number plates on to cars that were not designed to have one. It seems you may be able to have a stick on reflective number plate as opposed to a metal one. Contact the RTA for more info.

kdoohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yea one of mates had a rice ford laser and plates to the side pulled over rbt copper told he to put them back to factory gave him a warning.. depends how nice to copper is i guess

Dangerous Dave

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
someone needs to make a plate holder similar to the one used on the front of the WB's for this....

Should be able to make a good buck from it too..

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
wow theres G8's in Cobar, thought every second person drove a cruiser out that far?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Heh yeah we have a lot of cruisers, hell i even have one out the back being rebuilt, although i'm fitting a 1942 Ford Jailbar body to it.
I did a quick photochop today and yeah putting the plate offset is completely ricer and looks shockin. I tried it in the centre at the very bottom and that looks much better. I might try a few combinations and see what you guys reckon.