Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas Converted VT

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
my cars on LPG now, and its been great until it backfired just last night.

had 6 month old bosch super sport leads on it, plugs were about 3 months old (nsk 1.3mm). its a 97 VS and also fitted with flashlube kit.

the cause of the backfire was most likely the leads, 2 had popped off the plugs, and the sheilding wasn't doing its job.

so just a warning out there for anyone thinking of gas... its expensive.

Malus

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Maloo
how expensive can a backfire be? what do you need to replace anyway?

The most common thing to go in a backfire is the airbox... they can be blown appart.
What a mate of mine does is tape the air filter to the top half of the airbox and doesnt use the clips. This way it still get cold air and just blows the airfilter off rather than distroying the box.

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Another one I heard today was of a guy that drilled a hole in the airbox the size of a drain plug and then pluged it with a drain plug and used a chain so if it backfired all that happened was the plug flew off but being connected to a chain it was no major hassle to put it back in.

Malus

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Maloo
Another one I heard today was of a guy that drilled a hole in the airbox the size of a drain plug and then pluged it with a drain plug and used a chain so if it backfired all that happened was the plug flew off but being connected to a chain it was no major hassle to put it back in.

Not a bad idea, ive seent he same thing but with duct tape rather than a plug.