Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gauge pods for VX

S

steve_o_85

iv installed the pilla pod in my VX

742952_28_full.jpg

742952_27_full.jpg

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
OK here's the finished product. I had to replace a broken map pocket on the rear of the drivers seat so I used the old vynil from that to wrap the new gauge fascia with. I'm happy with the overall result and in time I will most likely put a oil temp gauge along side the pressure gauge.

Attachments

• console gauge fascia.JPG
    console gauge fascia.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 4,130
Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
steve_o_85 >> Can you post a close up pic of the pillar pod in daylight showing how it fits to the pillar?

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Are pilla pods illegal? i was under the impression anything over dash level was illegal?

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Yes I believe they are illegal. Mainly the reason why I ended up doing it in the centre console.

NetJunkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII S S/C
Looks good SUPERV6, very neat. I thing that's what I'll do, the pillar mounts do look good but it's probably better to keep it legal. I'm suprised how quickly you scrached it up. I'm going to be painting my facia silver, so I'll probably use a slightly different tactic, will post a photo when it is done...maybe a few weeks away though. :)

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Yeah its easy to knock it up...just make a cardboard template and cut & trim it as you go to get it fitting perfect. Then transfer your template onto the MDF. It takes more time to pull the dash apart to pick up the lighting circuit for the new gauges than it does to actually make the new fascia. I use the lighting wires of the MODE UP/DOWN module to light my extra gauges.

NetJunkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII S S/C
Thanks for the tips SUPERV6.
Btw, I noticed the position of your boost gauge, I was considering this (saw it on the FIT website) but found that the steering wheel and wiper stalk would interfere with the line of sight. Do you have this problem?

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Yes its a bit of a problem. You need to keep it as far left as possible for maximum vision, but if you go too far left the gauge fouls with a structural dash support behind. I even had to grind part of this away to allow the gauge to sit fully in the hole. The support is plastic which is easy to grind away 'in situ' with a dremel but there is also a piece of metal support which from memory needs to be 'persuaded' aside also. I think I might of drilled a series of small holes to weaken it and then carefully tapped it with a hammer and punch. If you keep it slighty more to the right side it would be easier to fit but then your vision would be further blocked. To be perfectly honest I don't watch the boost gauge all that often anyway...just a quick glance now and then and it's easy enough to shift your head a bit sideways for a better view.

NetJunkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII S S/C
Cheers for that mate. I'll probably mount a couple for gauges under the CD player, but need to get a few other pieces first. :)