Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen 3 build up hints

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
Hi all building a gen 3 for my skid car, what i have is a motor thats spun a bearing so i need to rebuild it, its got a 25% under driven balancer, a come racing cam part number Lsch-874, have to fit new crank, rod's and piston's my question is how good are the stock cranks power wise will be fitting arp main bolts to help ( yes i no they are 6 bolt bottom end) have seen a few stock ones go to hell and back and still run mint and any other hints to help be a strong motor, it will be carby feed by 750 ultra holley and a edelbrock victor jr manifold and msd timming module thanks lee

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
While not being an expert, most modern engines will take a fair bit of a hammering in stock form. Spinning bearings has nothing to do with crank quality. If good oil, and often changed, shouldnt be a problem. Maybe check, and replace the oil pump for good measure.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
From some off the power figures iv seen or read rather the standard crank with good set off rods and pistons, even with standard rods and pistons have copped a belting, especially some off the forced induction engines pulling 400odd rwkw, fresh bearings and get the crank checked and balanced and should be ok.
worth doing a new set off rods and pistons or at least new rings while its apart if budget stretches that far.

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
The reason be hide the bearing failing was the motor has done about 100,000kms and then put in a vk drag car ran a 6.8 down the 1/8 with 150hp of NOS it had done a few seasons so not really worried about why just looking to make it in to a good motor, will be fitting a new stock crank, full bearing set have been looking at these rods eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d for it, thinking of doing the heads as well with ports and so on thanks for the input guy lee

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
that rod length is way too long (6.200), standard is 6.098 - you'll probably need a piston and rod combo to suit which would be easier

will the car be using NOS again?

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
Na no more gas (nos) for it, thanks for the info i have ordered a few ls1 build up book's to look at

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
yea no dramas - you can also buy a mains stud girdle for that added protection of block flexing