Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gensis brake controller on VE (2006 Omega) playing up

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
Hi,

I have a 2006 VE Omega with a Genesis brake controller installed. The controller was installed when I purchased it and is between the two front seats next to the hand brake. It has been good until a month or two ago.

From time to time it will just come on by itself with no trailer / caravan connected to it. It will say OC (nothing connected) and then just start engaging as if I was braking. You can hear click-click sounds from the controller itself.

Does anyone know where I should start looking in trying to find the fault? Where would the circuit breaker / fuses be installed? Also, would the controller run of the brake pedal switch or some wire off the harness? I am not sure if they would have used a wiring harness or something (if you get one for the VE)

Any information / leads will really be apprecated.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Trailer socket may be a good place to start if it thinks a trailer is connected. If you have the rectangle style with the door on it, the door has a magnet on it that operates a switch so the system knows if the door is open ie trailer fitted or closed ie no trailer.

Make sure the magnet is still seated properly, the door is closing properly and theres no corrosion or water entry into the socket.

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
Thank you Ricey. How annoying ... the controller is not playing up today, but I did have a quick look on the socket at the back of the car. It is a 7 pin flat socket (Lumen brand) and there is a magnet on the flap that covers the holes when not in use. It is right on the 4th hole (no 3 -> earth) when closed. I will open the socket tonight and check.

One thing that I noticed was a little rock that was on top of the socket, between the bumper and the socket (right above the no 3 hole). Not sure if it could have been that, but when I took the rock out, it was sticking to a magnet.

(I have also checked all the cabling and connections in the boot and was amazed that it is not that complex. Found nothing suspicious. )