Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Genuine VZ police pads?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey all,

I think I saw this when I was playin with the Microcat parts catalogue towards the end of last year - genuine police pads for VZ?

Is there such a thing or did I dream it?

I like the genuine pads, they are dust free, I'm just trying to increase the grip level because the genuine pads dont have enough bight, especially at higher temps which doesnt help when I'm driving through steep downhil windy roads.

Failing this has anyone acctually found an aftermarket pads thats dust free but still offers performance?

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
There is a "Police Spec" pad. Basically it is the same backing plate as normal pads but has more friction material on it. Bendix part number is DB1344 for the police spec, and DB1331 for the standard. If you go to the bendix web site and us there online catalogue you can search by the part numbers and you can get an idea on whats different.

Some aftermarket pads will use the same surface area of the police spec pads as their standard 1331 pad.

As to dust less pads, generally speaking the dusty pads work better as it is a compramise but there are a few around these days that are low dust and have great performance, a lot of people recommend EBC pads.

Jezz

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
There is a "Police Spec" pad. Basically it is the same backing plate as normal pads but has more friction material on it. Bendix part number is DB1344 for the police spec, and DB1331 for the standard. If you go to the bendix web site and us there online catalogue you can search by the part numbers and you can get an idea on whats different.

Some aftermarket pads will use the same surface area of the police spec pads as their standard 1331 pad.

As to dust less pads, generally speaking the dusty pads work better as it is a compramise but there are a few around these days that are low dust and have great performance, a lot of people recommend EBC pads.

Jezz

Just on this... the QFM police spec pads are known to be better than the Bendix ones (much less dust). The EBC greenstuff pads are good, but cost a fair bit more. The QFM ones are about $75 a set (might include shipping, not sure).

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Frodo XL's are also great, I was getting brake fade due to heat with factory pads but not with these, good for street and heavey use, crap all over the factory ones

Then you have Bendix Ultimates, these are the best, there really hard but once there warm they are awsome

I have seen the Police spec ones, cant comment on them as I have never used them, I personally wouldnt want anything "Police spec" on my car as I would prefer "Better than police spec" on my car hahahahah

Cheers

KFK

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have you considered driving a little slower or perhaps even using a lower gear ?

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Personally I'd rather a pad that uses all of the available contact area like the police pads. For those heart in your mouth moments when you have roo's come in front you on the highway, I know what I'd rather be using.

I saw the tech drawings for both the standard and police spec pads and the contact area is significantly more.

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Personally I'd rather a pad that uses all of the available contact area like the police pads. For those heart in your mouth moments when you have roo's come in front you on the highway, I know what I'd rather be using.

I saw the tech drawings for both the standard and police spec pads and the contact area is significantly more.

Yeh same with Frodo's, if you compare them agaisnt the standard pads there is a lot more pad covering all the serface area, the standard ones a crap

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
only problem is the same ol story, you have to deal with brake dust in order to have a decent pad.

I have the QFMs installed in both an Adventra and an Acclaim. The Acclaim did just on 1000 kays on the weekend from Sydney to Canberra, Canberra to Bathurst (the long way there) and back to Sydney. There was a bit of dust but overall not too bad for photos because there was next to no stopping.

Get the car into peak hour though, nothing special, no "high speed stopping" or heavy braking, and by Tuesday afternoon the rims are black.

If only there was a pad that had the performance of a "police spec pad" ie covered the entire backing plate but with the dustless performance of the genuine pad, because Ive never had dust with a genuine pad but as mentioned have had it fade over after heavy braking, or at least struggle to pull up, especially when towing a heavy load with the Adventra, and for instance some idiot has decided to jump in front of me as we approach a red light ...