Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getrag Dual Mass Flywheel Spring Specs

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Can someone tell me how much movement is allowable for a getrag dual flywheel. I've got one here that I can twist slightly by hand and it springs back nicely, I think it's in good nick but is there a limit listed in the manual or something to determine whether a flywheel is getting worn?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Getrag dual mass flywheel service limit is 20mm of rotational freeplay.
Also, don't machine a dual mass flywheel. Once they're warped they're fit for the bin.
Cheers

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
When you say freeplay do you mean how much it can be turned easily without it springing back? Or the total maximum distance you can twist the flywheel by hand - the problem I have with this statement is how hard am I supposed to be twisting it?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
When you say freeplay do you mean how much it can be turned easily without it springing back?

^^^Basically, yes. With the back half of the flywheel held firm so it cant move, just grab hold the front half and rotate clockwise and anti-clockwise. Just use a light/moderate amount of strength by hand (don't need to fight against the spring pressure). Use a bit of chalk to mark the stationary point of the two, then note how far you can rotate it past this point. The 20mm figure is measured along the outer circumference.
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
some guy put a nice dodgy stick weld on mine so that it could be machined. nothin wrong with it!