Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting car ready

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all my car has sat in the garage for 6 months now and will be going back on the road in the next few weeks I am just wondering if there would be any recommendations of things to do to the car before going back on the road any input will be much appreciated

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Assuming it hasn't been moved or started:
Tyre pressures and condition (flat spot)
Fluids change
Brake check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Don't forget Registration AND (at least) 3rd Party Property Insurance :doh:

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I moved it a few times so hopefully no flat spots and insurance is still on it and fluid change being engine oil or would you do trams and diff

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
I would be doing a flush on the fuel system and replace fuel filter. also put some fresh fuel in there

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
6 months is not that long. Just make sure that the tyres are pumped up and if the engine oil is overdue by time then change it as well as the filter. Other fluids I would not bother about unless there are leaks or they are overdue with the exception of the transmission which I would service at about 1/2 the distance Hlden recommend.
I'd just start it up and listen for any funny noises and take it for a short drive to warm it up then check for any fluid leaks and maybe check the transmission fluid level and engine coolant.
The diff oil does not need really need to be replaced unless you tow with it.
I'd give the aircon a good run as the seals can harden up if not used and the gas will escape.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
check rats haven't eaten any wiring, start it and drive. My first VR4 sat regularly for 6 months between warrants before I sold it.

5N17R

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vz ss ute
If your going to be "anal" when driving pop into supercheap or even repco get a fuel system or engine clean additive and add it to your fuel system when you fill up a full tank. :)