Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting Drivers Window Back Onto Its Lifters

seedyrom

Reaction score
Does anyone have any simple advice for me to get the two plastic tabs back in, which slide into the metal grooves holding the window pane ?

I can get one in, but not the other (it can be either the front or the back, just not both).

Im thinking that one must be placed in, then the window moved up or down to a certain point where the other can be forced in ... or should I stop trying to slide them in from the ends, and instead lube them with grease and force them into place.

The car is an 88 Calais (power windows).

Thanks.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If you have the mechanism loose in the door you should be able to put the front top one nearest the front wheel in first .......there is a stop in the runner so you can't slide it in from the back end and you have to get it in putting it in the front of the runner and sliding it back and at the same time locating the other front runner near the lock mechanism.
Then just locate the bottom one in the loose runner put the screws in and attach the motor mechanism to the door.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
no forcing should be necessary ..it will end in tears.

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Hi Seedyrom,

I've just put a second hand (drivers door) window regulator in my VS Calais, I have three white plastic tabs on mine, two under the actual window pane (sliding in channels attached to the window pane) with one sliding freely in a removable bracket about halfway up inside the door cavity close to the door latch, I removed the bracket and placed the top two tabs in first, then by raising or lowering the window to get the bracket back on. WARNING: Watch out for Auto -Window Down, you can jam your fingers if not careful. Make sure window pane is correctly positioned in the channel at the front and rear of window pane (small adjustment at front channel) also make sure window pane slides freely between the rubbers otherwise electric motor will labour. IMPORTANT: Give the white plastic tabs, channels they slide in and cog on motor as well as teeth on regulator arm a liberal coating of Lithium Grease, CRC has a good product in a spray can.

Your set up may be similar.
Hope this helps, post a reply if does,

Regards wpr

seedyrom

Reaction score
Thanks Markovr and WPR,
Its back in now.
I couldnt get the metal holder off without too much ease, so I did Markovr's method and slid the front into place (and the stoppers at the rear of the front metal holder did its job).
I then moved the window till it was two/thirds open, at which point the rear plastic tab was able to slide in (Had to shift the glass towards the front of the car, then back once the tab was lined up with the metal holder.
The window was now held in place, and could go up and down, except it was getting stuck halfway up.
It was not in the front guide rail, and getting pinched between the window sill and the outside of the guiderail as it went up. (I should have taken a photo).

Anyway ... a 10 mm socket was able to undo the front guide rail (one bolt down the bottom and two bolts up the top - underneath the coverplate to the side mirror).
I then just moved the guide rail back and around the glass edge, then bolted it back in to place.

Next time I will remove the front guide rail first, as this was causing most of my problems when I was trying to shift the glass around inside the door.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel.