Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

god... dammit

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
you wont believe this one... was drivin bout 6 houts ago, suddenly a big bang, followed by alot of smoke, and a 'clunk clunk' sound out of the engine with no power.... the car is ok where it is, but i have a feeling that i've blown a piston...

so i guess i'm out for the cruise :p.... but, i dunno, what would be more 'cost effective'?:

- fix the broken bits (but risk of more damage later on)
- buy a rebuilt engine or;
- buy a BRAND spankin new one

i'll get the car towed home tomorrow and my dad will take a look at her, but we have a feeling its a piston... or two... but hell, u get that out of a motor doing over 300,000 k's :p

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
more likely the big end. Unless you were thrashing the **** out of it. If it was a conrod have a look at the coolent, if its dropped heaps its gone through the water jackets.

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
WAIT... i DID notice a coolant leak through the front abit... uuuh hard to explain here.... the part the fanbelt goes through a spinny bit thats not the alternator... its under it, bout half way down... i think it was leaking through there in between that lil gasket thing, couldnt see too well.

BUT that being said- perhaps that had caused the blow out?... and no i havnt been thrashing it, i've been cruisein... cost of fuel gone sky high lol

but even if it was the... water jackets, would that still mean the 'uh oh' "we're screwed" sorta episode?... :p would that had caused a piston to stuff up?...

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
on the front its probably the water pump leaking. The water jackets are what carries the water around the engine, like a river. If the conrod had broken the water jackets it means that the engine is basically stuffed.

Im thinking more big end bearing though

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
ok, but either way i have a feeling that the engine is stuffed.
so now what would a rebuilt one cost? i was told that it would be good to 'upgrade' to an ecotech v6 motor, the same as mine but better fuel economy, so i wont need a whole transmittion too

(btw the trans is pretty much brand new so no need changing that too lol)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It would be almost as cheap, and ****load easier, to just buy a VS, you can pick them up for between $500-$2000 for a half decent one. All your bits will bolt straight to the VS if you have any body mods, interior is almost identical too. Get another Acclaim too if you want.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
ICheapest way is to buy another motor from the wreckers My mate picked up a good vr one for $250 when his died. You need to replace it with another VR motor easiest way to do and least stuffing around.
You could change to Ecotec if you wanted but would require changing alot more things like wiring unless u went to map sensor but then you'd need a tune....

If you want to keep the car find a good cheap motor at the wreckers or buy a VS

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
VR motor from the wreckers - cheapest option by far.

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
I picked up a VP motor with low k's for $500 from the wreckers here about a year ago.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I picked up a VP motor with low k's for $500 from the wreckers here about a year ago.

They are getting cheaper now..... or was that fitted?