Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

going out of my mind vs v6 radiator problems

jerzey1234555

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.nitidus.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman and vk calais
hi guys, i have just changed the water pump in my vs statesman as the gasket was leaking, at the same time i changed the thermostat and flushed the coolant and added new coolant. When i got to work today all the coolant leaked out from the bottom of the radiator somewhere, but now i filled up the water again and drove the car home early as i didn't want to drive home in peak hour, the temp spiked once near work and dropped again and remained at a normal level until i got home. Now im here at home and not a single drop is leaking from the car at all. i cant work it out :S

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe you had air trapped in the system and it's been flushed out now..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Next time, before you fill the radiator, it helps a lot if you have the front of the car facing uphill, or having the front jacked up, as this will allow any trapped air in the engines water jackets to go towards the front of the block where it will escape into the radiator a lot easier than it would if it were trapped at the rear of the engine.
It might seem pretty insignificant doing a simple thing like facing the front of car uphill just to refill a radiator, but Ive been refilling my radiator like this for years now and have never had any problems with trapped air or airlocks in the cooling system, Ive seen heaps of people over the years who have refilled their radiator whilst the car is sitting flat or with the front of the car facing downhill, and then have problems with trapped air or airlocks in the system.
Another thing to remember is that the cars interior heater also uses the engines coolant to heat the interior, so this can trap a lot of air in the cooling system, and the heater should should be set to the hot position for a while when the car is first started whenever the radiator has been refilled. (The heater tap wont open and allow the heater core to completely refill with coolant until the engine is started, as the heater tap uses the engines vacuum to hold open the heater tap).

jerzey1234555

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.nitidus.com.au
Members Ride
Yeah car was facing uphill and also ran the car with the heater fully open, also bled the system as well to make sure so its got me beat. Maybe i just missed a little bit time will tell i guess i just dont wanna damage the engine if it overheats.

jerzey1234555

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.nitidus.com.au
Members Ride
After further investigation it looks like after replacing all these items as well as the radiator cap the pressure was too much for the radiator so its the next item to replace. I also think new hoses wouldn't be a bad idea as well. I have spent quite a bit over the last 6 weeks getting her to run better and im over it, new tyres, new brakes, full service, new water pump, new fuel pump, new battery, new coil pack and dfi module and now a new radiator as well.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You can pick up brand new radiators for VS's on ebay for around $80 delivered to your door..