Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding noise upon braking

vn2nv

Reaction score
My friend says that in his VN, when he brakes, it makes a grinding noise. This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes. He is low on brake pad material in the rear brakes. What could it be? brake pads or maybe something else?

thanks

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
I would get him to get his brakes changed ASAP. he has probably started to damage the disc.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
vn2nv said:
My friend says that in his VN, when he brakes, it makes a grinding noise. This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes. He is low on brake pad material in the rear brakes. What could it be? brake pads or maybe something else?

thanks
sounds like metal to metal contact mate. change your pads and get your rotors machined or replaced.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
New pads, new rotors, bleed the system and don't run the pads to metal ever again.

getafix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 V6 M5
its the noise that rotors make when the calipers hit them. The rotors wear according to the contact area that the pads make. The pads dont contact all the way to the outside of the rotor. Therefore, there is a small lip on the outside of the rotor that is left untouched over time. An easy check is to run your finger over the rotor to the outer edge and feel this lip. Take of the wheel. Get an angle grinder. Grind the lip away. Or buy new rotors, depending on how much cash you have and how thin your rotors are.

oh and by the way. Your pads may be fine. Its just the caliper hitting the rotor.

-dave

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I wouldn't recommend grinding the lip off the rotors. But that's just me. New rotors can be picked up fairly cheaply, just keep an eye out for sales at repco, autobarn, supercheap and the like. Rotors start from about $60 each from memory. Good excuse to re-pack the front bearings too.

getafix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 V6 M5
why wouldnt you recommend grinding the lip off the rotors?

-dave

bulldozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 5.7L
I've got the same problem, and according to my mechanic if i choose to machine the rotors or replace them completely i have to change the pads as well.
Is this true?

machine rotors = $20 each rotor
replace pads= $120 each wheel

i have 50% pads, considering the cost i would prefer not to change the pads.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
I'd agree with Mouce. Don't grind the lip off.

If the lip is that bad that it grinds, I'd think that the rotors are below minimum thickness. Also your rotors are balanced from the supplier and grinding would probably put them out of balance.

At $20 to machine a rotor, I'd put that $20 towards a new rotor, about $50 each when I last bought some.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
I've got the same problem, and according to my mechanic if i choose to machine the rotors or replace them completely i have to change the pads as well.
Is this true?

machine rotors = $20 each rotor
replace pads= $120 each wheel

i have 50% pads, considering the cost i would prefer not to change the pads.
Just get the pads an face down on the concrete floor and using a circular motion take the surface of the pad , an ur good to go .