Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

grinding noise....:(

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
sixshooter said:
I'm betting its the water pump thats shat a bearing...take your serpentine belt off and see it there's any side to side movement of the water pump pully... that could be making the grinding noises if it was knackered.
Could also be a jockey pulley bearing or the tensioner bearing for the serpentine belt and if airconditioning fitted the bearing for the pulley in freewheel mode or if it occurs while the air cond is running the compressor bearing/s. Also check the alternator bearings. All of the above with the eception of the air cond compressor bearings can be checked by releasing the tension on the serpentine belt with a socket bar (if the belt is taken off note which was the engine side and put back the same way (use a texta and put an arrow on the belt). Take the opportunity to examine the belt in case it has stress cracks on the inner side which may make a noise as it rounds a pulley.

ozyrob

Reaction score
this isnt happening when your torque converter in your tranny locks up ? mine also does this and when you litely press the pedel its sort of sits between beeing locked up and not locked up and grinds , i done a filter and oil change in my tranny and it helped heaps , still does it a bit bu no where need as bad

hope that helps

Reaction score
Members Ride
purple/blue VR 3.8lt 4 speed auto
it only happens at 100 with me now with economy on. try it

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
ok everi one i have found the problem. it is the torque converter. got myn fixed now. you have 2 choices $1000 for just the broken peice replaced or $2200 for a recondition one with a warrenty. i chose the socond option. so if you fellas havnt foudn the problem take it to your mechs and sugest what i have said. hope this helps.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
a shot ildeler bearing by the sounds of it
only occures at 1900rpm
the noise will not stop until idle,.. rev harder only makes the belt slip/squeal

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
purple/blue VR 3.8lt 4 speed auto
burnz said:
a shot ildeler bearing by the sounds of it
only occures at 1900rpm
the noise will not stop until idle,.. rev harder only makes the belt slip/squeal
revvin mine makes it go away. ill live with it till it brakes. then ill get it fixed.:p

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
VR_Drag_Racer_Newbie said:
revvin mine makes it go away. ill live with it till it brakes. then ill get it fixed.:p

Unfortunately when they break you lose engine cooling, electrics, air and power steering. If then you dont stop the car you will cook the motor in about 1 minute. Sometimes its a long way to walk home!

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
96vscommodore said:
ok everi one i have found the problem. it is the torque converter. got myn fixed now. you have 2 choices $1000 for just the broken peice replaced or $2200 for a recondition one with a warrenty. i chose the socond option. so if you fellas havnt foudn the problem take it to your mechs and sugest what i have said. hope this helps.

>.< mines getting chronic for the vibrations [ which doesnt help, i drive around a lot of 80km/h zones, grind city till i click it back to 3rd ]

$2200 for a reco unit mother ouch, may as well see if a wrecker would let you gut one out but then you wouldnt get a warranty with it. teh pain.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
mines doing the same at around 100km/h... real annoying. so if its the torque converter... I need to replace it.. *sigh* :(

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Patrio7 said:
>.< mines getting chronic for the vibrations [ which doesnt help, i drive around a lot of 80km/h zones, grind city till i click it back to 3rd ]

$2200 for a reco unit mother ouch, may as well see if a wrecker would let you gut one out but then you wouldnt get a warranty with it. teh pain.
I'm no friend of wreckers but most will give a warranty especially if they instal it - though to be safe take you grandfather with you to witness the warranty statement (it goes better at the small claims tribunal ----- just joking).