Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding under load?

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
Hi all,

I bought a used 2009 VE MY10 SV6 almost three months ago, and since i've had it it's made a grinding noise when accelerating with the steering wheel turned

I first took it to a holden dealer who told me it was the front right wheel bearing, they replaced it under warranty and told me it would all be good, drove it away and it still made the grinding sound. When I took it back they said there was nothing wrong and all was normal.

I then took it to my local mechanic who agreed there was a grinding sound, but said it was not a wheel bearing sound and thought it was something to do with the drivetrain/gearbox, but he couldn't find any faults.

Took it to a different holden dealer who thought it was a loose heat shield on the exhaust, they tightened it up and it's still making the noise.

It's most predominant when the car is first turned out of the driveway in the morning, after that it's most noticable when accelerating away from a round about.

Anyone got any ideas what to do next? :spew:

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
Ve

Well if it was me i would keep on taking it back to holden until this issue was fixed.But yeh i can see your getting the usual holden dealership customer severce.Just keep on em about the problem there's got to be one of them willing to help get this fixed for you.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Hi all,

I bought a used 2009 VE MY10 SV6 almost three months ago, and since i've had it it's made a grinding noise when accelerating with the steering wheel turned

I first took it to a holden dealer who told me it was the front right wheel bearing, they replaced it under warranty and told me it would all be good, drove it away and it still made the grinding sound. When I took it back they said there was nothing wrong and all was normal.

I then took it to my local mechanic who agreed there was a grinding sound, but said it was not a wheel bearing sound and thought it was something to do with the drivetrain/gearbox, but he couldn't find any faults.

Took it to a different holden dealer who thought it was a loose heat shield on the exhaust, they tightened it up and it's still making the noise.

It's most predominant when the car is first turned out of the driveway in the morning, after that it's most noticable when accelerating away from a round about.

Anyone got any ideas what to do next? :spew:

Great first post, clear and concise with your problem.... without a super big whinge story to have to sift through.
Welcome to JC btw :).

A little more info if you dont mind though, and lets see if we can narrow this down a bit.
You say it happens when you pull out of driveway, and accelerating from a roundabout?

Firstly, where does the noise sound like its coming from? Under you, from the engine bay, behind you?
Is it low pitched or high?
Is there any associated feedback/vibration from other parts in the car when you hear the noise? (ie steering wheel, gear shift lever, any of the pedals)
Is the car auto or manual? Does it only happen in one particular gear, or all gears?
Does it seem to happen when engine is at particular revs, or is it more gear selection related? For instance, if you revved the engine higher through the roundabout by selecting a different gear, does the noise still happen? Does it change in pitch?
If car is auto, does placing it in a single gear before going through the roundabout (like in sports mode) still give the same sound?
Does the noise happen at any other time, or only at low speeds negotiating roundabouts?
If you take the car to a vacant car park, and do gentle figure 8's (no burnouts :)), can you replicate the noise? In what part of the "8" does the noise happen? Does it only happen turning in one direction or both?
You mentioned that it happens accelerating away from a roundabout.... can you replicate the noise by accelerating without turning first?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you can answer some of them (or all of them), you can eliminate different components.
For instance, wheel bearing fault can be easily found by loading up the relevant wheel on a corner... and conversely will go quieter when you turn in the opposite direction.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Also, keep receipts and documentation regarding the issue (and it still not being fixed when presenting at a dealer for warranty service).
A little diary with names, places, dates, rough conversation outcomes etc. will come in handy later on if warranty expires and problem still exists (and they refuse to fix it).
Letting warranty expire without this getting fixed could be very costly later mate. Better to be anal now than being taken advantage of anally later.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
Firstly, where does the noise sound like its coming from? Under you, from the engine bay, behind you?
It sounds quite central to me, from the drivers seat but some have said it sounds like the left side? Definately forward of the dashboard though

Is it low pitched or high?
Mid pitched, metal on metal kind of sound, bit like sharpening a knife?

Is there any associated feedback/vibration from other parts in the car when you hear the noise? (ie steering wheel, gear shift lever, any of the pedals)
Not that I've noticed, just an irritating sound

Is the car auto or manual? Does it only happen in one particular gear, or all gears?
It's an auto, It still did it accelerating away when i had it in 2nd/3rd gear accelerating out of round abouts

Does it seem to happen when engine is at particular revs, or is it more gear selection related? For instance, if you revved the engine higher through the roundabout by selecting a different gear, does the noise still happen? Does it change in pitch?
Seems around 1500rpm-2500rpm, above that it starts to fade in to the engine noise and you can't hear it, it's always the same pitch, like its the same metal parts scraping together sort of noise

If car is auto, does placing it in a single gear before going through the roundabout (like in sports mode) still give the same sound?
Did it in both 2nd and 3rd

Does the noise happen at any other time, or only at low speeds negotiating roundabouts?
It happens when I pull away from a carpark or something, reverse out and no noise, but turn the wheel and accelerate away and it does it, does it around corners when it hits the right sort of turn/speed combination. It makes the same kind of noise when the car is cold and it revs a bit higher when its cold, but after the inital 10-15sec when it calms back down to 500-600rpm it goes away.

If you take the car to a vacant car park, and do gentle figure 8's (no burnouts :)), can you replicate the noise? In what part of the "8" does the noise happen? Does it only happen turning in one direction or both?
I've had it doing it both ways, but not consistently, it only consistently does it when turning right. It'll do it on the end of the curve, straightening out but only when you apply accelerator. If I just let it coast out of the turn it wont make the sound

You mentioned that it happens accelerating away from a roundabout.... can you replicate the noise by accelerating without turning first?
Occasionally, but it's not as noticable. It did it when I had it parked on the street the other day, I turned it on and accelerated straight ahead from the park.

thanks very much for the help, really appreciate it! I'm not getting far with the holden dealers and it's mighty frustrating :surprise:

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
From reading the above symptoms, I would suggest looking at the strut top mounts and/or bearing plate. you may have some dirt/grit in there or the rubber has collapsed.

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
Yep while its under warranty keep hounding holden to fix this problem all be it very frustrating but its better they spend there time and money on it.Takes the cash flow problem off you as well, one less thing to worry about hope it gets fixed for ya soon.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
From reading the above symptoms, I would suggest looking at the strut top mounts and/or bearing plate. you may have some dirt/grit in there or the rubber has collapsed.

Is this something I can look at and/or check or will it involve a mechanic pulling stuff apart?

Thanks

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
One thing springs to mind also. Don't know how many kms its done, but my VT had similar symptoms turned out to be buggered engine mounts allowing Power Steering pipes to hit the sub-frame on tight turns etc. Just a thought.